fanpop Chatspeak?

amazondebs posted on Feb 08, 2008 at 08:36AM
okay now i'm not going to rant as i sometimes, well all the time, say weird things and therefore have a tendency to over use the word lol-so people thing i'm kidding
but when people are abreviating things i sometimes don't understand what they mean, and if i don't understand it then how is someone who's first language isn't english supose to?

anyways can anyone tell me what idk or jc means? as i keep seeing them, everywhere
last edited on Feb 08, 2008 at 09:06AM

fanpop 26 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an Zerstoren said…
idk= i don't know
jc..I have no idea o_o and i've been listening to internet speak for a long time. What context was it used in?
il y a plus d’un an harold said…
idk = "I don't know"
jc = depends on context. Often "Jesus Christ"
I've been doing chat on and off for more than 20 years, and many of the abbreviations have come and gone in that time, and sometimes they come back as something else!
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an amazondebs said…
thanks!
il y a plus d’un an germany123 said…
let me tell you: as a poor little german granny( im over 14) its almost impossible to understand some of the stuff written on this site..more than the abbreviations( i google them) its
the ppl u no
or
i lyk h8 it
that are really hard to read...ive unsubscribed from spots because of that- but maybe it just me getting old...
over 14? i think, well hope that's a typo :)
il y a plus d’un an Cinders said…
My mother texts these days and it's so adorable because I don't use "txt speech" but she soooo does. She told me that she remembered a time when LOL meant "Lots of Love."

I myself can't stand internet or text abbreviations outside of text messages, where it makes sense. But I do use LOL. That's probably the only one though.
il y a plus d’un an DrDevience said…
I know high-paid IT guys who write like that and it drives me freakin nuts.

If you are texting on a phone, fine. But in a forum? Umm no. I'll beat you like a red-headed step child.

(*Any redheaded step children who wish to take offense at that can bite me)
ha ha ha ha ha!
il y a plus d’un an PkmnTrainerJ said…
I remember an incident when my little brother texted my mother in text-speak and we eventually deciphered that he wanted picking up, and then my mother sent him back a message in text speak, saying she didn't understand him because of the usage of text speak.

About ten minutes later he sent a text using real words...
il y a plus d’un an maybeastarbucks said…
What does "XD" mean?
it's a laughing face like the X is the eyes screwed up and the D is a laughing mouth... i think
il y a plus d’un an Saul_Mikoliunas said…
When I write a text and it goes to two texts, I sometimes shorten some words so that it is only one text (Yes, I am a cheapskate) but I don't understand why people do it over the internet? THE INTERNET IS FREE PEOPLE!! Well, the actualy internet isn't free but......you get my point.

I actually spent 15 minutes messaging my friend over fanpop because she got a prop with text speak and we couldn't understand it. What does "imo" mean?
in my opinion, sau..wait for it..ley!
sauley?
il y a plus d’un an Saul_Mikoliunas said…
Thats my nickname =D In my opinion. I like that. Personally, imo, chatspeak is terrible. Idk about you but I think that iiwc.
(Iiwc=It is way confusing =D)
okay i may get laughed at for asking this but what does
O.o
mean?
so far i'm thinking either people keep trying to tell me i have wonky boobs
or one eye and a shocked face
lol debs wonky boobs..
google says it means either
a) im astonished - to imitate the eyes one opened wide
b)or something like Oh Oh! (Teletubbies!?)
choose one ;)
IMO wonky boobs it is!!!
I cant believe I misspelled Sualeys nickname..her name is sualey,btw!
okay that's great but now i want to know what
IMO means lol

hmm answers say 'in my opinion' but google says
'International Maritime Organization' or 'International Mathematical Olympiad' lol

seriously thankyou
il y a plus d’un an hellgirl223 said…
so thats what idk and jc means! ohhh, now i get it! O_O
il y a plus d’un an claire-aka-bob said…
its strange, i dont really use text speak on the internet or on my mobile much, i say 'u' (as in you) and lol and omg, but thats about it
normally in face to face conversations will use text speak, so i will actually say 'O-M-G' or 'C-B-A'
(btw, cba means cant be arsed)
oh i just realised. i said 'btw' in stead of 'by the way'
gee's this is confusing :p ♥
il y a plus d’un an Snerkie said…
i use "fyi" in conversations now, lol, but i usually do it in the cheesiest lamest way one could :) and only "chat speak" i use in texts are lol, lmao, rofl...the laughing things, lol, otherwise i use full real words :o
il y a plus d’un an Sophiii said…
hahahahahaha I just think I actually laughed my arse off. Wonky boobs hahahahhahaa. Er right.
I had noo idea what idk meant before this, so thank the lord for this forum chain.
It really annoys me, but I use omg, wtf, lol & lmao when I'm talking to people! Like actually speaking.
And I use them in chats aswell. Argh.
il y a plus d’un an goalstopper said…
I know IDK stands for I don't know but i thought JC stands for Just Chillin'. I guess it could be for Jesus Christ.
il y a plus d’un an portraitinblack said…
Chatspeak is one of the more annoying inventions. I never really minded it much when it was just used a little bit, but people use it excessively, now they actually say it OUT LOUD... it's getting too much and it's too the point, people who use it I won't even bother with because I think they're stupid.
il y a plus d’un an rusty746454 said…
idk- i dont know
jc- i have no idea what that means XD

i have to admit i do say lol i alot but besides that i dont understand half of it and i am a teen.....0_0 i dont understand it. I guess i am just not into all that stuff. Here is some other words that i know that are text talk its very little compared to the amount i dont know

btw- by the way
jk- just kidding
ftw- F my life? {i think}
and thats about it XD
cool
ftw is for the win and fml is fuck my life...