fanpop Nom D’utilisateur Question

Master24 posted on Apr 17, 2011 at 07:39AM
Hello site administrators, my name is Vega. I have a question that has been on my mind for quite some time. For several years now, I've disliked my username. Just the thought of my username reminds me of how immature I was when I arrived to Fanpop. So in order to forget my past, a certain change must occur (I believe you guys know where I'm getting at). Is it possible to change my username? If it is, I will definitely appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

- Vega
last edited on Jun 22, 2011 at 08:05PM

fanpop 16 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an germany123 said…
smile
hello vega,
i am not a site administrator but you cant change your username. you can however delete your account and make a fresh start!

sincerely,
germany123 (who has a lame username but is known for it and cant be bothered to get her reputation back with a new name)
il y a plus d’un an Master24 said…
Thank you for your reply.

Well, you see...
The main issue is that I don't want to start over. If I create a new account, that means I have to give up all the spots I've created. And I'm not willing to do that. Also, I'm not really much of a frequent user here, unlike the others.

So I guess what I'm really asking is; if it's possible for the administrators to change my username for me. (Since I believe that's what they're capable of.) So hopefully an admin stops by and reads this. Because I really want my username to change.
il y a plus d’un an misanthrope86 said…
A few people have asked before and they haven't been able to change their names. At this point in time, your options are to delete your current account and start anew, or just suffer with your current name.
of course the admins can but i dont think they would cause if they started doing that they would have to hire a monkey doing that all day!?

also on a sidenote: master24 might be SOMETHING i am not getting, some reference!? honestly though i see nothing wrong with it..
il y a plus d’un an harold said…
Also, you would not be "giving up all the spots you've created," as the creators of clubs have no special relationship to the clubs they create. Sure, as a club's creator, you have a "suggest images" link, but anybody can change the images in a club (by following the link), so that's just a convenience. Beyond that, what are you losing? Medals? Caps? If you were going to make the change, I'd recommend doing it quickly, before you get any more to lose. I wouldn't worry about fans, though I could have included them: real fans will become fans of your new account soon enough.

I'm not really bothered by the inability to change usernames (it is, after all, not a common feature on any web site I've used), but there is a broken element to the process: you can't have more than one account! Now that's totally broken, if we can't change our account information (including username) AND we can't delete an account (which, last time I checked, we can't). So, you're fed up with your username (or want to start over for some other reason), what do you do? You try to cancel your account. Oh, but you can't do that (except by request using the "contact us" link). So you file a request to have the old account removed, but then when you create a new account, you are identified as having multiple accounts, flagged as a spammer, and banned from the system. What did I say? Broken.

As for admins being able to change usernames, I've never seen any evidence of this. Banning, yes, but changing usernames? I've never seen it. Maybe you have, though? If so, one wonders why it doesn't happen more often; this is one of the most requested features/fixes on Fanpop.
but harold darling of course we can delete our accounts!!!
read my article ;)
link
(hint its number 10a)

as for name changes: i have only seen them make one exception for privacy reasons and they shortened the username because the user didnt realize her name would show as her username and she couldnt choose a "nickname" later on.

also making a new account will NOT flag you as a spammer and will not get you banned. also tried and tested after the "great blogspot debacle of 2011". sooo many users make several accounts on the same machine it will not get you banned! ask caramelmilk if you dont believe me she is on her..third account i think!?
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an caramelmilk said…

True story.
Thanks for replying guys. Really appreciate it.

@Germany123: No, there's no reference to my username. It's just something I randomly came up with, because I couldn't think of a better username. So I'm stuck with my boring username forever. At least yours is better than mine. It's a name of a country, while mine is just "Master." Pretty boring if you ask me.

@Harold: Well, I'm not really concerned with medals or fans. I can simply care less about that. I guess my only concern now is the years I've been here. (Since I've been here since '08.) And when people visit my page, I want them to know that I've been around for quite some time. Yes, it's an arbitrary reason to cling on this account, but it's something I care about.

As for me seeing usernames being changed on other sites; yes, I've seen many users change their username. They simply did it by asking the site admin. Which obviously gave me the idea to ask here.

One more thing. Of course you wouldn't mind keeping your username. It's your actual name. Which is what I want. If I had put "Vega" as my username in the first place, I wouldn't be having this dilemma. With that being said; I also wouldn't mind having the inability to change my username. (Only if I had my real name in the first place. Just clarifying.)

P.S. I just hope the site administrators consider this feature available in the near future.

you know what i just noticed,master? THAT!

every time someone addresses you on fanpop they have to call you "master"!
you know what? lets just swap accounts! i totally want to be known as the master not zee german! BOW TO ME YOU SILLY FOOLS! yes, master! *high pitched voice* awesome!

and can i just say again how CONFUSING it is when people change their username!? just take immunicaramolivine!

if in real life one of my friends decided to change their name every couple of years i would probably refuse to go along with it.

ALSO: you have me intrigued, master. you know of a number of people who have had their username changed on request? like..a couple of people? immunicaramolivine..have you tried that?
Hm, nope I've never tried that. I read somewhere that papa said if you want to change your username, just make a new account. I'm not a big fan of bugging the F4 because I'm a username whore. *shrugs*
I stand corrected, germs. That's what I get for being a greybeard user; sometimes I still think of the site as Fanspots, after all. Banning is not an automated thing; it is by necessity a policy-based decision by a person on any web site. The restrictions on multiple accounts used to be enforced, now it seems to have been removed or lessened. It certainly was an issue in the past, to the point that many users complained about it in this very club. My guess is that the policy was altered after the ratings system was removed. That makes sense - the main problem with multiple accounts seemed to be that people were doing it to artificially promote and/or troll content - and, further, it may explain in part why the ratings were removed. Policing all the multiple accounts that people created must have been a huge headache for the staff. With ratings gone, not only is the opportunity for trolling greatly reduced (as well as artificially promoting content in the slavering desire for medals), but the incidence of multiple accounts probably dropped a large amount.

Just to add to your IRL comment: Friends of mine have changed their names, just once per friend, and I've wrestled mightily with the question of whether to honor the name change or not. Some of them have had legal name changes, and others have just started calling themselves something different.

Vega, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were asking for a feature to change your username. Getting an admin to change user account info is not a feature on any site, it's an exception process. "I know there's no way to do this within the site, but could you make a change to my account for me?" Of course it is likely possible for the staff to do this, but they may have some internal policy against it. I don't think it's possible for the admins to do it, though. Have you submitted the request via the "contact us" form? The staff generally don't read content on the site, though sometimes people do luck out and get a response that way.

Edit: corrected a couple of typos
Thanks for understanding.

No, I haven't tried the "contact us" form. I consider doing that as rather pointless. (Since they're most likely not going to read it.) All I can do now, is hope.
The contact us form is the only thing the staff says they will read!
il y a plus d’un an Eline_K said…
smile
@harold: That's not entirely true. The F4 also read personal messages sent to their account. The contact us seems to get flooded sometimes.

And for the record: I have had my username changed. (Yes people, it was ME!) It was back in the days where accounts could not be deleted, and I had a privacy problem. My username was eline-kerpels, which is my real name. It bothered me that when people googled my name, they'd find my fanpop account, which could send the wrong message for job interviews etc. I sent a message to dave explaining the situation, and he was kind enough to help me out. I changed it to Eline_K, so most people would still know it's me and I don't mind people knowing my first name.

I understand the F4 don't want to change everyones username. It's a hassle, and they have more important things to do.

I'd like to add that a username is just a username! Who cares! Don't take it to seriously...
angelic
I'd like to add that a username is just a username! Who cares! Don't take it to seriously...
Wooo wooo wooo :OO Careful. A username is...♥♥♥♥♥♥...the most holy and awesome thing on earth.
(xDDDDDDD)
I second that notion.