fanpop Image problem

papa posted on Jul 12, 2008 at 05:02AM
UPDATE (as of Saturday July 26th)
Hey, here's a quick update on the image servers. All of the images have been recovered and are being served using the new servers. Image serving might be a little slow today (Saturday, the 26th) and tomorrow as we improve things under the hood.

Turning image uploads back on is coming along and the work so far is going well. Right now, it's a little early to say when exactly the new server will be ready for uploads, but we'll update you all here as we progress.

Thanks again for your patience.

UPDATE (as of Thursday July 24th)
Hey folks, thanks for your patience. We've gotten the vast majority of images back up online.

While the images are showing, there's still work to be done to get the new machine ready for image uploads. We'll re-enable image uploads as soon as the servers are ready.

Thanks for your support through all this!

/////////////////////////////////////////

You may have noticed *ahem* a little problem we're having with some of the images. We're working on the problem.

UPDATE (as of Monday July 21st) -- I'm just reposting another comment I made on page 3 and 4 of this thread so everyone can see it...

Just a recap for everyone:

What happened:
* One of our image machines suffered a major failure (basically really really bad luck -- like if you suffered 4 flat tires all at once bad luck).

The Good:
* Some images for picks, profiles as well as photos, wallpapers, icons etc are back up
* You can add images again to soapboxes, picks and quiz now (that functionality is working once more after being out late Friday/Saturday)
* We are *confident* that we will have most (if not ALL) of the images back up (it will just take time - we have some experts assisting us and will also be needing some new hardware which also takes time to get/configure/test)

The Bad:
* Image uploads (wallpapers, icons, fan art, screencaps) is disabled
* Profile page image uploads are also disabled
* Full recovery will require time, most likely until Wednesday this week (but maybe we'll get lucky and it will be sooner! rub your collective rabbit's feet for Fanpop!)

In the aftermath we'll also be instituting some changes that will hopefully allow us a speedier recovery in the future and even further minimize the chance of something bad happening.

Also - Michael and Cliff spent some serious weekend time working on this all night Friday and pretty much all day Saturday. So feel free to give them a prop for their efforts -- even though there's still a lot of work to do.

Will keep you all posted.

In the meantime, ASCII art is fully supported in the forums...so go crazy! ;-)
last edited on Jul 28, 2008 at 02:36AM

fanpop 501 réponses

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 501

il y a plus d’un an Temptasia said…
It is also preventing me from uploading pictures. Is that normal too?
il y a plus d’un an papa said…
It's related/part of the same problem.
il y a plus d’un an claire-aka-bob said…
okay, thanks for telling us ♥
il y a plus d’un an ay3 said…
I NOTICED THAT! and i thought my computer was screwed up so i told my mom and she got all "WAA?" so when is this gana get fixed?
il y a plus d’un an aholic said…
Oh so that's why I can't upload images to my quizzes. I was just going to ask you about it.
il y a plus d’un an hooch-is-crazy said…
Has this got anything to do with me not being able to see user icons?
Yes I think so. It's the same thing for me, Harold.
il y a plus d’un an germany123 said…
Yes I think so. It's the same thing for me, Harold.

hooch is called harold,too?

erm anyway thanks for the info, papa
oh and lets all be patient..nudge nudge wink wink :)
i am fairly sure the f4 are doing what they can- we all know how frustrating things can get when you are trying to fix evil computer sh!$?

it DOES make you notice how important the images are..in picks and such and epecially users icons
last edited il y a plus d’un an
DOH it's because I can't see the icons! :D I almost never read the user names. Maybe I should...
at first i thought every1 decided 2 change there user icons 2 blank icon that has that stop thingy and says "user photo" in red and forgot 2 tell me!
ya fanpop is not the same without icons....
some load, I got mine and germany's, mine isn't .jpg because I took it from a screenshot myself so can germany say what hers is?
hmmm lemme see can she?

wait..i need to check that.

yes she can its a .png file because she read in a very clever article (katiemarie..or something similar!? wrote an article on icon etiquette) that .jpg tends to be blurry when uploaded as an icon..and since she made this icon herself (first time ever :P) she now remembers that that is the reason she converted it to a .png file.
she hopes this helps hooch and papa?
(but she is puzzled..she thought it was a server problem and had nothing to do with images..then again she doesnt know what ETA is- well she does but she is fairly sure that papa is not an underground terrorist from spain)
il y a plus d’un an nosemuffin said…
I can see DrDevience, Snerkie, and Johnmihn, but those are the only ones that I've noticed so far.
il y a plus d’un an _lina_ said…
I can see clair-aka-bob, inespinto, johnminh, and lilie2. And mine, but I'm not sure if that counts?
il y a plus d’un an Praesse said…
I can't see mine either :P
Why are images working for some people (at least Debs, anyway)?
il y a plus d’un an spluq said…
Thanks for telling us :D

I can see only murderess and mrj.
Some images are working some aren't because not all the images are on the machine that was affected.
HA! we have caught you red handed, papa

THIS IS THE START OF FANPAPA!

you are destroying fanpop to make room for fanpapa..
link

oh poor dave...you didnt DO anything to him, did you!?

*gives papa evil eye*

il y a plus d’un an Spotty_Vision21 said…
germ, now the only question is - which side to pick? Papa or Dave? ;P
oh no!!! dont confuse me..urgh thats like choosing mom over dad or vice versa....

*shakes head continuously*

*starts mumbling to self*

i cant choose, i cant choose, i cant choose, i cant choose, i cant
You really ought to pick me since dlu is pretty much been disposed of at this point...MUAHAHAHAHAHA
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO­OO!­!

*starts sobbing*
daaaaave...no!

*starts walking toward papa slowly*

what did you do to him?? i believe we have a fanpop army...be careful!
*does evil whisper*
trust no one!
il y a plus d’un an amazondebs said…
rofl! you lot!

yeah mine comp seem to see images longer than other but sadley nosemuffin even my computers eyesite gone now, it must be something in the water or this ETA *pauses* yes i know that computers don't need water.....i'll be right back
Don't drink the ETA!
il y a plus d’un an tvman said…
My icon still works, but I think that's because only a certain class of images are working. Like RPG is working, but not JPEG.
Papa just said why some of the images can still be seen.
il y a plus d’un an shieldmaiden said…
Oh this explains it. I though it was my browser or something. Thanks for the info and good luck on a speedy server recovery! =D
il y a plus d’un an Leightonfan said…
Yeah, same here, I thought my browser or maybe my laptop needed to be fixed.
il y a plus d’un an metrostation said…
hahaha i thought was my comp.. haha xD
il y a plus d’un an dave said…
Rumors of my demise or disposal have been greatly exaggerated...Fanpop lives! Seriously though, thanks for all your patience everyone, you guys have been so supportive and great through this little hiccup!
il y a plus d’un an mimika_s said…
do we know when it is going to be fixed? :)
approximately...
il y a plus d’un an knifewrench said…
To TvMan: RPG is an image file type as well as a game genre and a weapon? Intruiging....

I hope I don't get more twitches, like when the updates page disapeared. Still haven't gone away completley.... <twitch>
il y a plus d’un an tushtush said…
I can only see tvman's icon. :( Oh wizzles, I wasn't planning on fanpopping for too long today, seeing as I have an excruciatingly painful toe because i crushed it in an escalator in Selfridges yesterday....

At first I thought the whole image crisis was because I changed my internet supplier on Tuesday. Thank papa it's not (see, i cleverly substituted the word 'God' for 'papa'. That's right folks, I'm on his side...)....
the worst thing is that you can't upload images...
so I can't add photos or make picks... :(

someone should try uploading an image that isn't .jpg
The impression that I got was that the type of image isn't the problem, but the server that stores them. The reason some images show up is because their uploading predates the problematic server.
il y a plus d’un an brigitte said…
yeah

what happened?
il y a plus d’un an Snerkie said…
Yes, it's been said that it's not the file type, so not because of a jpg or a png, and i think the icons they get converted to jpg after uploading any ways possibly, lol.

But yeah it's server, so all/most uploads will probably usually be on the broken server, so i'm sure everyone will live while it's being fixed.
il y a plus d’un an PkmnTrainerJ said…
I figured that was the problem. As I could see images1.fanpop.com trying to load something and failing.
il y a plus d’un an michael said…
We brought up a temporary server to handle some of the image load. A lot of the images will still be failing to load, but you should be able to upload images to continue to make picks, quizzes and soapbox at this point.

Also some of the older images are now being served from a backup images server, but we're still working on the more recent images. Until we sort out the bigger issue, user image uploads and image gallery uploads have been put on pause.

I'm hoping we'll get the data recovered and a new image server up and running by the end of the week (Friday?) but these last 30 hours have been "interesting" and who knows what the next couple days will have in store for us. All I know is that we'll work through the technical difficulties and keep providing you guys the best Fanpop experience that we can manage and try to recover as fast as we can.

Thanks to everyone for being so understanding!
I haven't been able to upload PNG images to my pop quizzes in the Europe spot. Any ideas, Michael?
il y a plus d’un an michael said…
Sorry, I just realized that I needed to clarify about image uploads to picks, quizzes, and soapbox.

Short version: It take several hours to several days before you can upload images due to how the internet works.

Longer version: We handle image uploads asynchronously one different servers than the one that serves the majority of our web pages. There is a limitation in HTML that requires all servers working together in this method of uploading to be on the same domain (fanpop.com). Because of the way domain name servers (DNS's) work it may take a few hours to several days for an update that we make on our servers to reach your internet service provider (ISP) (and subsequently to be passed onto your computer).

I took the liberty of dropping in a little test file for you guys to see if your ISP has updated and the image uploading for picks, quizzes, and soapbox are working. Just go to link and (if I didn't make a mistake) it should tell you if you can see the temporary server we installed. (This test page will be removed once all this image stuff has been all fixed.)
*parties*
it says that mine works!!!!!!!!!!!
*parties again*
I knew I was addicted but now I realise how much!!!
the funny thing is that I don't upload images all the time,just occasionally and yesterday I found some awesome icons and...I am so unlucky
*runs to make some picks*

:):):):)
il y a plus d’un an DestinyKid101 said…
Somebody better fix this problem because i'm not joining fanpop and won't be able to show a wallpaer that i made. :(
il y a plus d’un an hellgirl223 said…
i cant see ppl's icon, images, or even my icon!!!!!!!!!!!! no wonder i couldnt upload my images i thought my laptop went wrong, without images in fanpop is different and some of em cant help me answer some picks! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! i hope this problem can b fixed or.. its the end of fanpop as fanpapa takes over world domination! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­! *stabs self to death*
BOOHOOHOO FRIDAY??!?!?!? i cant wait that long :( maybe ill just sit around watching TvMan's user icon and remebering the good old days :((
this forums format is messed up..and now i cant read michaels comment and i am fairly nosy and would LOOOOve to know whats going on- is it possible to fix it soemhow so i can see the whole text?

erm sorry..please!?
il y a plus d’un an EdwardzMine said…
i almost broke my comp cos i thought it was broken!!!! i got sooo mad! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEW PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix it!!!
THX
il y a plus d’un an Saul_Mikoliunas said…
Hey Ger, if you highlight from top to bottom then press Ctrl c, then open up microsoft word or whatever you have on your computer to type things up (Maybe a notepad? I have that too)
then press Ctrl V it should past the whole text (missing bitties from this forum included) into word or whatever.