Ancient Greece The Truth Behind The films - IMMORTALS (2011)

afrodith_1995 posted on Jan 29, 2015 at 09:51AM
Greetings from Greece (yes, I am Greek). When I was younger I used to read everything I could find on greek mythology...I still do. I also read lots and lots of history. As such I was/am able to distinct the truth and the fiction in the Hollywood films. I am talking about the 300, clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, Immortals etc. I will pick Immortals. The synopsis (IMDb) reads: "Theseus is a mortal man chosen by Zeus to lead the fight against the ruthless King Hyperion, who is on a rampage across Greece to obtain a weapon that can destroy humanity."

Let's start with Theseus. Theseus was the son of Aethra and Poseidon. As such he was actually a demi god. He fought and defeated the Minotaur. He married the daughter of Minos, king of Crete, only to have her taken by Dionysus shortly after that.

Let's go to Hyperion. He was one of the original Titans, son of Gaia and Uranus. His children in turn, were Helios, Selene, and Eos (or better known as Sun, Moon and Dawn). He took part in the Titanomachy. Also, there is another Hyperion. That one was one of the Argonauts, but didn't make it to Colchis.

Now, Phaedra. She was the second daughter of Minos (the first being Ariadne). She was married to Theseus after her sister was taken. But, she fell in love with Theseus's son (Hipollytus) from Hippolyta, Queen of Amazons. Euripides wrote a play, stating that because he didn't return her love, Phaedra wrote a letter to Theseus claiming that he raped her. Theseus then killed him and she commited suicide out of guilt. Artemis later told Theseus the tuth.

And our last character will be Aethra, mother of Theseus. Well, she most definitely wasn't murdered. She was actually married to Aegeus, king of Athens. (Well, not exactly married.) Before they got married (the night they were introduced) Aethra went to the island of Sphairia, where she met Poseidon and...well you know. Next morning, Aegeus left thinking he had made love to her and told her to wait until their son was old enough, so he could go to Athens and claim his rights. He was then joined by Medea, whom had left Corinthos after murdering her children (yes, yes I know TMD). Blah blah blah, Theseus kidnapped Helen (yes, the one later known as Helen of Troy). He gave her to his mother to keep her. But, after her brothers saved her, they kidnapped Aethra in revenge. She was then in Troy until, after its ruin, was found by her grandson Acamas.

Ta dah! See what I did? (not that I didn't like Henry Cavill, of course I did). But as you see story writers of Hollywood do what they wish. And my question is this: why on earth did they change the storyline? Wasn't Theseus's story PERFECTLY fine with all kinds of drama blah blah blah on its own? Wouldn't you have seen it? Thank you very much for reading it. (And I may post stories for other movies too, that's if I don't get lost once again.) Adios!
last edited on Jan 29, 2015 at 04:02PM

Ancient Greece No réponses