FanFiction.net How to get inspiration to Write

MrsSiriusB posted on Sep 05, 2011 at 06:28AM
So, many, if not all, of us have special ways to make us motivate us to start writing a new fic, so here, tell me how you get inspired.

I'll tell you mine. I mostly lurk around in the HPFC (Harry Potter Fanfiction Challenges) and look for good prompt words and challenges that will give me a head start on what to write about. If I'm not doing that, I'm going through all my already published series of one-shots/drabbles (they're all related) and coming up with new scenes I could write about that would fill in a hole between two separate one-shots.

FanFiction.net 2 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an peacebaby7 said…
Think about questions that have been left unanswered in your fandom. i.e. What happened during this period of time character A wasn't on screen? What did character B mean when he/she said _____?

Read other people's stories and gain inspiration from that. But please be careful not to copy their story, not even near-copy. Someone did that to me once. When using this strategy, I usually use a very vague idea from their story that probably couldn't even be detected as a link to it.

Think of situations that you could put specific characters through. Combine the situations. Revolve the situation around several characters.
il y a plus d’un an Flickerflame said…
Think of "what if" scenarios and tangents you could use to alter the canon storyline. Sometimes you can get inspired by something random like how someone interpreted a spoiler.
peacebaby7 commented…
I use this strategy as well. il y a plus d’un an