Critical Analysis of Twilight Why "exposing" Edward's sexuality is funny to ME

Cinders posted on Sep 28, 2009 at 05:29PM
You gotta be careful with calling people and characters gay in an attempt to demean them. I'm not saying that's the intention at this spot at all when they say that Edward is gay. I'm just saying that it can be an issue sometimes, with other things. The phrase "that's so gay" comes to mind.

But the reason Edward being portrayed as gay is funny to ME is because so many teen girls fantasize over him. NOT because I see being gay as a weak trait, or a negative thing. But because so many fan girls would get upset if it were true.

I guess that still makes me guilty of Schadenfreude... but not of insulting the gay community.

Although, now that I think about it, while calling Edward gay may upset the fan girls, it might please the fan BOYS. Well, good for them. They need to be thrown a bone every once in a while anyway.

Critical Analysis of Twilight 8 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an renrae said…
"Although, now that I think about it, while calling Edward gay may upset the fan girls, it might please the fan BOYS. "

This reminds me of the really bad fanfic crossover I read when Artie (from glee) falls really hard for Edward.
il y a plus d’un an Myf_1992 said…
The reason I find Edikins being gay funny is because (and I do realise what Im doing may be insulting and demeaning to gays), a) The annoyment it will cause fangirls, b) If Eddy was gay he would fullfill the steriotype (Sparkly, throws tantroms) of gays.
il y a plus d’un an Asvini said…
smile
As funny as the jokes about Edward in that area are when done right, the funny thing to me is that his behaviour (or sparkles) never struck me as gay or effeminate, but more like a childish and intentional attempt to seem effeminate. If I were judging him as a real person not a character I'd think he was a straight boy who had heard it said that girls in their teens prefer somewhat girly men because it seems a less threatening way to explore their sexuality, so he had intentionally womaned himself up to get a girlfriend.

This may sound strange, since Twilight was actually written by a woman, but like I said if I was judging Edward as a real person I'd laugh at what a stereotypical man's view of what women want from love he has. The constant reaffirmation of love, the writing lullabies, the sex life minus the sex, going to lie in meadows. Everything from his version of romance to him being covered in sparkles seems to be like what a man who had very little experience with women would come up with when thinking 'hmmm, what do women like?'. People call him gay because they see his behaviour as effeminate, but I see it as such a cliched stab at effeminate that it actually comes across as almost masculine in it's misunderstanding of it. Not to offend any males here by implying they all have such a narrow understanding of women, it's the stereotype of men I'm associating him with (I can't win. I call him girly and feel I'm insulting people, but I associate him with masculinity and I feel like I'm insulting men, lol.)

I find the idea of him actively trying to be girly funnier than the idea that he just is. I have this image in my head of him brainstorming his next womanly act of love, like he has a list of ideas:
Write a lullaby
Watch her sleep
Take up ballet
Agree to sit through a sex and the city marathon
Pretend to enjoy the sex and the city marathon
Buy a box of kittens and name them after Disney Princesses
il y a plus d’un an Perplexed said…
Not that I'm defending the writing in any way, but I think part of the reason girls (young ones especially) are so attracted to Twilight and Edward's character is that he is more effeminate than your average teenage boy. That we wants to simply touch her without pressuring her for sex in any way. That he pays attention to things like the colour of her clothes and her hair. I think it's more of a reflection of how modern teenage girls are starting to pull back from the highly sexualized persona they've all taken on in recent years than anything else and how they're longing to go back to a time when sex wasn't everything and guys actually respected you and you could spend time with a guy without feeling like you owed him anything, like just spending time with you is enough. In a way, I think it's sad that we only associate gentleness with being gay. That no straight man could possibly be that emotional. And while I don't think SM did an especially great job at writing him as a sensitive male lead (because he's got one awful flaw after another), I think girls are clinging to him in that way because that's all they've got in the way of male figures who don't have the same expectations they're feeling in their real lives all the time.
il y a plus d’un an Bookaholics said…
I would certainly hope the fan boys would have better taste than that.
Everyone seems to think that Edward being gay would annoy the fangirls, but I'm not sure it actually would. It certainly isn't as if girls never obsess over gay characters. (Or real people.)
il y a plus d’un an italiangirl976 said…
smile
Kinda off topic but why do people say "that's so gay"? I'll admit I do it too but don't you think that would offend gay people?

Hes unrealistic. Guys are not like that. They have the same romantic views and do all of that romantic stuff like he does. Not at all.
last edited il y a plus d’un an
angry
People say that because they're ignorant. In fact, it does offend gay people. (Some, anyway.) And a lot of other people too. It's annoying that no one seems to care. If you made a similar comment about, say, black people, you would almost definitely be called racist.