Comparative Religion What would it take to believe in divine authorship?

harold posted on Dec 05, 2008 at 09:39PM
This is a question that's been prompted by many discussions (mostly in other spots, since we have so few fans here), where various texts (usually the Christian Bible) are refuted/dismissed as being written by people, not by a deity. This seems to beg the question: how should a god cause a book to be written? In what way, if any, would it be done that you would believe that it was authored by a god?

Comparative Religion 7 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an adavila said…
the book should not have anything in general that can be interpreted in many ways, it should apply to every era and every civilization, there should not be stupid parts that only apply to other time. And there should be proof that god did it.
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an harold said…
So what would constitute proof that god did it? That's what I'm asking.

Edit: I hate giving examples, because that influences the answers one gets. But, for example, would a god have to appear to you and write it in front of you, or could a god just appear and say "yeah, I wrote that"?
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an SG1-090 said…
They'd have to write it in front of me because i wouldn't take their word for it, but then of course, they'd first have to prove to me they where a god.
What would constitute such proof, for you?
il y a plus d’un an Vikitoria said…
I'm agnostic so I'm pretty open minded, but I think I'd have to see something for myself as proof. Like I'd have to physically see it, and more than once because I'd probably convince myself whatever I saw was a dream or hallucination or something.
So the only way that a god should have a book written is by incarnating, providing irrefutable proof of his/her divinity, and then writing it in front of you several times.

OK.

What then would you say to someone else who hadn't seen all that? Would the god have to do that with everybody?
il y a plus d’un an yesterdaysjam said…
hmmm
Personally, if I was God (let's forget about books for a second) I would autograph my work - authenticate it. I would sign my name on the proton or neutron of an atom, so then scientists would see it and realize that all matter had been made by me :-)

I think anything written on paper will always be debated, changed, denied, added to, etc, etc. In this day and age 'God' (if he/she/it) exists, needs to provide solid proof/evidence of their existence. Maybe a book that has no words written in it - you open it and hear the voice of God speak to you directly.

Good question btw Harold. I've often pondered that...