Avatar le dernier maître de l’air ATLA Unpopular Opinions

Aang_Lite posted on Oct 19, 2014 at 09:01PM
Basically just a spot for everyone to post their unpopular opinions on the series, whatever they might be. From what I've seen this type of post hasn't been added to forum topics yet. And unpopular opinions are a great point for discussion. I hope you all enjoy!

Avatar le dernier maître de l’air 15 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an Aang_Lite said…
I'll start first :)

I think Toph is a bit overrated, and I never really had the overwhelming love for her that almost everyone seems to have. She's cool of course, but I find her a bit irresponsible, and she tends to avoid certain things. Something rather surprising for an earthbender whose supposed to take things head on.
Agreed! il y a plus d’un an
zanhar1 commented…
Same. il y a plus d’un an
OmegaGirl commented…
whyyyy? she be my fav character... il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an zanhar1 said…
I actually just don't care for Katara. She's was my least favorite since season 1.
Aang_Lite commented…
Interesting! Was it her motherly attitude and how overbearing she gets sometimes? That's something I had to wrestle with when it came to my feelings for her. I only can accept it now because I see it as her coping mechanism for dealing with her mom's death. il y a plus d’un an
zanhar1 commented…
It was both. I also think she was kind of a buzz kill. I also feel like she could be rather dramatic and emotional. To be honest I also usually don't like main characters...I shoot for the antagonists. I don't hate her as much as I used to though. il y a plus d’un an
JustKeepArting commented…
To be honest, I always thought Katara had too much screen time. Personally, I think there were scenes, in which instead of Katara, someone else could've gotten plus of screen time & character development. il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an KataraLover said…
I think Azula had it just as hard, if not harder than Zuko had it. Everything she had and all of the approval that she received from her father, she had to work hard for and become what she was. I'm not say that Zuko didn't work hard but I think Azula also did. Unlike Zuko, she never had love in her life. He was loved by his mother and his Uncle. Azula just had her father's favor and her mother, while I do think her mother loved her, didn't show her daughter she loved her. She's such a complex and misunderstood character that deserves to have redemption.
Aang_Lite commented…
Azula has a very psychopathic personality, and I mean that in a medically based way. She intuitively gets joy out of causing others harm and manipulating them, mostly because she needs to feel in control. "How can somebody hurt me if I hurt them first?" And because of this I feel she deserves almost not pity at all. Yes, she is very sympathetic but there is a difference between pity and sympathy. Azula had the same exact type of support structure that Zuko did but yet, she rejected that structure almost every day. She is a cold person realizing just how cold she's been and the only way she can deal with it is pretend it doesn't matter and act even colder. How would toi hope for others to act around her to help her? If anyone ever tried they would just be burned. il y a plus d’un an
KataraLover commented…
Let's see toi be raised par a psychopath and have no l’amour in your life and see how toi turn out buddy! She has a cœur, coeur because when she hurt Ty Lee's feelings in The plage episode, she immediately apologizes for it, something toi wouldn't expect from a villain. Along with that, she actually keeps her promise to Zuko to bring him accueil as a hero if he helped her conquered Ba Sing Se and defeat Aang. Wouldn't it be plus fitting of her character to betray him like she did Long Feng, especially since she's been hunting him and Iroh ever since the beginning of season 2? She cares about her brother and even warns him to be careful about going to see Iroh, instead of just using it to her advantage to have the trône for herself. I'm sorry but toi are very closed-minded and ignorant, especially since the creators a dit Azula is capable of redemption. Besides, Zuko wasn't sûr, sans danger for anyone to help either. Even Katara wanted to help heal Iroh in the episode "The Chase" he throws feu at her. il y a plus d’un an
KataraLover commented…
So no offense, but toi need to stop being so closed-minded. People who are like her that have no l’amour in their life are the ones who need the most help because they want love. Why do toi think in The chercher she didn't hurt Zuko when he a dit he loved her? Try thinking hard about it because the human mind, especially for someone as tormented as her, is a complex thing. il y a plus d’un an
Apparently my comment was way to long to actually post directly on the answer so here it is;
Pretty sure I had a debate rather similar to this over on this poll; link however I think this one is slightly different and I kind of wanted to add my two cents if ya'll don't mind. I can defiantly agree that she has a very psychotic personality. But I do believe that can be placed on her upbringing. I’m no psychologist by any means but in my psychology class in pretty much every topic we covered (in light of server disorders) parenting was always a factor…particularly with schizophrenia…which is my personal diagnosis for her considering the auditory and sight related hallucinations and the delusions of persecution, control, and grandeur. In light of schizophrenia much research has been done particularly on the patient’s relationship with his…or in this case…her relationship with her mother. To take directly from my textbook “Years later, noted psychodynamic clinician Frieda Fromm-Reichmann elaborated on Freud’s notion that cold or unnurturing parents may set schizophrenia in motion. She described the mothers of people who develop this disorder as cold, domineering, and uninterested in their children’s needs. According to Fromm-Reichmann, these mothers may appear to be self-sacrificing but are actually using their children to meet their own needs.” This, I believe applies to Azula in many ways. First and for most both of her parents were rather cold and unnurturing, Ozai particularly. I know that this is where we had our disagreements in the last debate; I think that Ursa was rather cold in her treatment of Azula—whether it was on purpose or not. Ozai was definitely cold and domineering. Neither seemed all that interested in Azula’s needs (nor for Zuko’s needs for that matter). The next part applies more to Ozai—it always seemed like he cared for Azula, but at the end of the day she was a pawn…a means to achieve his world domination. His human weapon. And this, can no doubt mess a person up. Arguably, the same could be said for Ursa, she only seemed to show interest in Azula when she wanted information…particularly in The Search. I can also very much agree with you that Azula gets a twisted pleasure in causing harm to others so she could feel in control. And as you noted, it’s something of a defense mechanism—the I can’t be hurt if I do the hurting method—one that inevitably comes back and bites her swiftly on the ass. Going back to the first debate we had; “Grey states that Azula used fear and control to make friends because she was afraid that people wouldn't like her for her. And ironically the fact that she did that is what pushed everyone away.” Not only did Azula long for control to avoid getting hurt, but she also used it because she didn’t think she could make a friend any other way. Her entire life she was taught dominance and fear over love and trust. And it is very hard to break away from such a mentality. In order to do so she would have needed to be shown genuine love and care…which is hard to do because she has so many walls up and pushes people away. She thinks displaying emotions is weakness, and that’s a habit hard to get out of. That’s why I think she deserves pity. She has almost this learned helpleness (where love and trust are concerned) and she’s managed to stick herself in the middle of a vicious cycle. I don’t quite think Azula had the same support structure—Zuko had Iroh. Iroh being the most moral, loving, wise, and understanding character on the show. He pretty much guided Zuko. Azula didn’t have that type of moral guidance. That person to keep her on the right track. She had maybe Ty-Lee and that’s it. I don’t really know if Mai ever genuinely liked Azula. And as I mentioned above, the rejection of the support system goes back to how her father taught her to act. I think she’s afraid to let down her walls and show the weakness she needs to display to earn herself a support system. In regards to her coldness…I do believe that that was also a learned state of mind. Ursa never showed Azula the warmth that she showed Zuko (Zuko actually got a taste of what it was to be warm and loved early on) and Ozai certainly did not. But I can agree with the whole ‘the only way she can deal with it is pretend it doesn't matter and act even colder’ part. Kind of goes back to what I was saying with the cycle thing. As of the last part I can also agree there; Azula needs to tear down that wall if she wants help. I think she just needs someone who won’t be frightened by her so easily, someone who can almost force her to realize that there’s a problem…and then after that actually proceed to care for her. I also do believe that Azula has showed signs of wanting that help, she just doesn’t know how to act upon it; in the Search she hesitated when her mother said that ‘if what you’re saying is true and I am your mother, I’m sorry I didn’t love you enough.’ There were quite a few moments when I feel like Azula was considering opening up…I just wish the authors would have perused it more.
zanhar1 commented…
Also gonna add that no offense was intended. Both parties above had some very good points. I may not agree with all of them, but good none the less. il y a plus d’un an
KataraLover commented…
I completely agree with toi 100%! Man, Azula would be great as her own protagonist in her own TV montrer about her having to open up to others. Of course that wouldn't be something that Nickelodeon would do because it would be too dark. But Azula is like a psychology project that would be incredible fascinating with her own story. I wish the creators would stop focusing on Zuko, Aang, and the gang in the comics and finally focus on Azula. I mean, we already went through their struggles and seen them grow, mature, and develop. Let's see some of that with Azula! Actually, let's see A LOT of that! Katara is my favori character but in a strange way, I find Azula to be the most interesting an fascinating character on the show. They can't just leave her story like that. If Zuko deserved redemption than so does she. il y a plus d’un an
zanhar1 commented…
Thanks. I would l’amour to see a montrer about Azula and her psychological journey. It would just be such a fascinating watch. I l’amour the gang and everything but they constantly seem to neglect and put Azula off to further their story. As toi a dit we already saw all the character growth and development. I think it's Azula's turn. I don't think Azula is as evil as people make her out to be, she deserves some redemption. il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an MissCinico said…
Sokka is actually really annoying in my opinion and it sort of takes the whole series down, just a little.
Aang_Lite commented…
Huh, I can sorta see what toi mean, especially with the first few episodes. I kinda have the same reaction to Toph. il y a plus d’un an
zanhar1 commented…
He can be. I still like him though. il y a plus d’un an
Azula had it harder than Zuko.
melybrubeck commented…
Their internal conflict cannot be compared, since each had as an ally one of their parents. Perhaps because her mother disappeared, the series take plus appreciation of Zuko's conditions. In any other way, Azula suffered the same. I just can't compare it il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an TheLefteris24 said…
Well,They Are Many But I Will Start With This One: I Think It Would Be Great To See The Fight Between King Bumi And Toph From The Comics In The Animation !!!!
last edited il y a plus d’un an
I ship Azutara.
il y a plus d’un an TheGoldenCoast said…
Mai and Ty Lee were way cooler when they were with Azula. Now they just kind of suck in the comics.
zanhar1 commented…
I can agree with this. Mostly Mai. il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an melybrubeck said…
I would like to know from which martial art did each bending had its matching movements. I remember this video in which they explained how their movements were based on which martial art it was related with. Most of them matched with just one martial art but I'm not sure if they ended as a combination of several styles of fighting.
TheLefteris24 commented…
Each Bending Style is based on an existing Chinese Martial Art. Mainly, for Waterbenders is Tai Chi, for Earthbenders is Hung Ga Kung Fu, for Firebenders is Northern Shaolin Kung Fu and for Airbenders is Baguazhang !!!! il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an derpnation said…
I have a few unpopular opinions so I'll list them out here: Zutara sucks and is overrated, I dislike Ty Lee and I dislike Ikki and Korra from The Legend of Korra, I only thought that The Legend of Korra was okay, and I'm kind of tired of the "MY CABBAGES!" line.
zanhar1 commented…
I don't like Zutara either. il y a plus d’un an
Azula is not a murderer.
il y a plus d’un an Sythia said…
I don't like Toph because in my opinion she's just a girl without manners: rude, selfish and dirty.
il y a plus d’un an TheLefteris24 said…
I wish Ty Lee had more moments in the Series. Besides her debut and the Beach episode (Which in comparison to the others, wasn't much either), I don't recall her Character being explored anywhere else. It would be nice if more light could be shed into her background. Her relationship with her sisters is being mentioned but they could also give us an idea of their interactions and their Family's status in general. There is also the matter of Chi Blocking. I would like to see more information about this kind of Art. Its Origin and how it got passed down to Ty Lee. Was her Family's tradition or did she learn to practice it after running away? That very aspect made her one of the most capable Non-Benders if not the most capable one of them all actually in this Show. Also, after turning against Azula and bonding with the Kyoshi Warriors afterwards, there is some development to her Character but we don't get to experience it so it can quickly get brushed away. Seeing things from her own perspective just like it has been done with the rest of the Characters would make that development of hers much more noticeable. It is a shame she's been left out like this because I really believe there is more potential to her Character !!!!
I feel like I'm one of the only people actually feels really bad for Azula when Mai and TyLee turned on her. Before anyone says anything; I'm NOT saying that they didn't have a good reason to do so. But Azula literally had no one at that point.