ALW's Phantom of the Opera movie Why did Christine pick Rauol?

FrenchHorn posted on Jun 26, 2008 at 05:05PM
I for one would have picked the Phantom because he is so much flat out better than Raoul!

ALW's Phantom of the Opera movie 7 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an xElvenPiratex said…
Yeah, my first thought was "Because she's an idiot." lol...
il y a plus d’un an FrenchHorn said…
lol
il y a plus d’un an velvet_fox said…
tongue
*sighs* I never understand why so many people ask this question.

Seriously I do not get it. Raoul is Christine's childhood sweetheart, he is the man she is in love with, she wasn't in love with the Phantom. The Phantom manipulated her love and memory of her father to his advantage, he enchanted her and Christine was mystified and drawn to this man on that basis, but it was not romantic love. Indeed she was at points terrfied of him. Why do so many people need to ask this question?
il y a plus d’un an Shannon1982 said…
Velvet, I for one think that Christine had feelings for both men. But she chose Raoul because she felt he could give her a better life and she'd be safer with him. I think that she might have chosen the phantom if he had not killed a man(sorry can't remember who it was, lol). The phantom was hypnotizing her, but I didn't see it as him taking advantage. He just wanted love and acceptance.
il y a plus d’un an Greekfire said…
wink
If i were christine i totally would have picked The Phantom but thats just me. She probably didnt pick him because he was kind of..out there. You know, crazy. And he was today's version of a hobo, living underneath the Opera House. A cool, smart, talented hobo, but a hobo. I would also say Christine picked Raoul because he's got a good posiion in society, but I don't think she's that shallow. She probably loved both men, but felt more strongly about Raoul.(crazy)
il y a plus d’un an bendaimmortal said…
What Shannon1982 said.

This film is not the same as the stage version. They drastically changed the relationship's timeline and I don't see sense in doing that unless meaning to drastically change the Phantom's motives and Christine's emotional bond to him, too. I really believe she was in love with them both, more or less.

But I still don't understand why so many have to ask this question? How is it not obvious that she'd choose safety in such situation when finally given a real choice, even if she did feel strong love an dunion for the Phantom? She wasn't a woman of the 21st century but a 16-years old of the 19th century.

What I personally don't understand how could she torture herself for decades by staying with Raoul as the ending implies to me thather heart had always belonged to the Phantom more than to Raoul and that she'd been torn in two all her life. But then again, maybe she had tried to return to the Phantom but just couldn't find him anymore. And Raoul, the loving and kind person he is, chose to give all the happiness he could give to her - regardless of how she always longed for the long lost other love.
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an iholland95 said…
Because she was smart. I do think however that she should've been a little bit kinder to the Phantom.