écriture What do toi think make a story worth reading?

Takuya posted on Nov 12, 2010 at 05:27PM
One thing that i think make a story good is heavy emotions and stuff that show how the characters handle bad incidents.

Some examples could be like Superman or the Hulk fighting someone of equal strenght or someone having to sacrafice something important.

Well what is your opinion?

écriture 21 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an Friendly_Girl said…
Deep characters and original storylines.
il y a plus d’un an cassie-1-2-3 said…
I think just rateable characters.

I don't really think a story needs to be original.
I read V.C Andrews books all the time. She's my favorite author, but to be honest, all her books are pretty much the same. The thing I love most about the books are that there's always one characteristic of every main character or every single book that I can greatly relate to. It allows me to somewhat feel like I'm in the story.
il y a plus d’un an forksandspoons said…
has 2 have a good conflict
il y a plus d’un an juicyjossy9 said…
As you know me, I can't give a one-sentence answer to this extremely interesting topic... (!) So here it is:

MY KEYS : ADVENTURE, MYSTERY, ROMANCE, FANTASY

Action-Pack and Fast-Pace

Capture your reader's attention right from the start. A good way is to open in the middle of an action-packed scene or intriguing dialogue.

Once you have your readers hooked, sustain their interest throughout your story with fast-paced action and lots of suspense. End with an exciting climax and a satisfying conclusion.

Identification with the characters

Give your protagonists strong, attractive personalities so that readers will warm to them and want to root for them. They must display strength of character and be able to overcome obstacles on their own; so long as it's realistic, let the child or teen characters solve problems by themselves. Keep adults in the background. Most kids and teens prefer protagonists of their own sex, but are at the same time interested in the opposite sex; so do include main characters of both sexes in your stories. Let the heroes and heroines to be the same age as themselves or slightly older.

Original Plots and Funny Stories

Kids and teens get bored when stories are too predictable. They like original plots that keep them guessing from page to page, and they love a surprise ending. Readers also enjoy humour: practical jokes played or jokes told by characters in the story; also puns and slapstick comedy. Older teens prefer witticisms, irony and other more subtle forms of humour.

Must Feel It's Happening Right Now

Children and young teens live only in the present; they are not bothered by the past or the future. So they must feel as if your story is happening right before their very eyes. For this reason, it's often easier to give your story a present-day setting, or to set it in a future or fantasy world.

Historical novels are fine for older teens; but if you're writing one for younger readers, you'll need much skill to make long-ago events and customs come alive for the child.

Some writers like to use flashbacks in their stories: for example, a character recalling an incident from the past. Teens usually have no problems with this but it may be confusing for younger readers, who may find it difficult to get the story's timeline sorted out in their minds.

Bring Your Story to a Satisfying Close

Give your story a happy ending if you're writing for children. Teenagers can take sad endings on occasion but, even then, end on at least a hopeful or inspiring note.

The good guys must win in the end; this is especially important for kids. Young readers have a strong innate sense of justice, so your ending must feel right. For teens, end with a satisfying conclusion, a resolution of at least the major conflicts.

Remember the Adult Purchaser Too

While kids and teens are your target audience, often it's the adults in their lives - parents, relatives and librarians - who buy your books.
So, what would appeal to an adult purchaser of children's books?
Ask yourself: what would I look for in a book I am buying for my own kids or for a young friend?

Obviously, you want the recipient to like the story; you also want the reader to gain something from it, whether it's to learn something new, empathize with others, or imbibe certain values you hold dear.

So, write the kind of book you yourself would buy for kids or teens.

Cool Ideas for Preteen Stories (9 to 12 years)

Preteen readers like their stories to zip along at a fast pace, with plenty of action and humour. They enjoy adventure and mystery stories where the child protagonists solve problems by themselves.

Preteens want protagonists to be their own age or slightly older: heroes and heroines who are brave, active, intelligent and resourceful, capable of handling difficult situations independently. Stories revolving round family, friends and school are also popular. Preteens also look for books that address family problems, relationship questions and growing-up issues they themselves are facing.

Exciting Story Writing Ideas for Early Teens (13 to 14 years)

Write about challenges these readers can identify with, such as adolescent issues and relationship problems with family and friends.

Romances, both contemporary and historical, are popular too. Readers of this age enjoy light romances, which don't necessarily have to end in a wedding: the interest centers on the boy-girl relationship, and the trials and tribulations of the hero and heroine.

Many authors also throw in a dash of romance when writing adventure, fantasy, historical or other fiction.

Cool Stories for Mid-Teens (15 to 17 years)

Like Early Teens, Mid-Teens go for adventure, fantasy and family stories, but these should explore themes in greater depth.

Readers look for books that address issues like family relationships, family break-ups, peer pressure, bullying, drug abuse, personal responsibility, faith and love. Mid Teens also enjoy intimate family.

Romances continue to be popular, as with early teens. So write stories about school or college life: these often include some romantic interest.

Meaningful Issues for Maturing Teens (18 to 19 years)

These more mature readers take a lively interest in social issues, and look for books that help them in their transition to adulthood. They enjoy novels that deal with personal and interpersonal challenges, as well as adventures, fantasies and romances, and stories of family and university life.

Stories are richer in plot and character development than for the earlier years; irony, allegory and other subtleties of language and meaning are now within the understanding of readers. Issues of human rights and interpretations of world events can be more fully explored than for younger teens. Historical fiction has a following too.

Maturing adolescents also look for mystery stories with intriguing twists in the plot.

I hope I kept your interest till the end to have it worth the reading! :D
last edited il y a plus d’un an
 As toi know me, I can't give a one-sentence answer to this extremely interesting topic... (!) So here
cassie-1-2-3, a good story might as well not be very original. But if you want your story to be comercial and stand out, it has to be original. How many good books are out there? With good writing and deep characters? Hundrends. Maybe thousands. But few of them have actually managed to get the public's attention, and these are the ones with the original storylines, the ones that offer something new and exciting to the reader, and keep them reading until the last page. So, in my opinion it's not just about the book being good, it's also about being original and clever, to be worth reading. That's why I added this to my answer.
il y a plus d’un an cassie-1-2-3 said…
That's fine. I hope it didn't sound like i was trying to discredit you. I was just saying what it is for me.
No, don't worry. I just get a little fired-up when supporting my opinions. :D
il y a plus d’un an sapherequeen said…
heart
To me, one of the most important aspects of a good story is its originality. Have it be something different :)
For example; Right now, today's most popular element in novels are vampires. If someone were to come a long and decide write a story about mermaids and sea witches, to me he/she would already be on the way of creating a good story. It becomes irritating and unbearably pain when almost all of the books at Barnes & Noble share the same main element.

Another aspect that I think makes a story successful is its containing characters that can be liked and disliked.

I've read around four or five stories in my English class so far, and plenty of these stories had perfect characters. A character that was beautiful, talented, endlessly beloved, who could do no wrong in anyone's eyes. These characters had magnetic, wonderful personalities that no other character in the story could resist. This was one of the reasons why the stories I read for my class bored the hell out of me, to say the least. -_-

I am currently reading the Iliad, and there is this one character of the name Akhilleus (A-KEEL-LEEZ) that I absolutely adore. I also like the characters Hektor, Zeus, and Athena. Why?
As much as Akhilleus is a brave warrior and well respected fellow soldier, he is also known for his destructive temper. When his commander was taking advantage of the army, Akhilleus tried to speak his mind and let the commander know he was wrong. In response the commander takes Akhilleus's fiancee as his own. So Akhilleus's choice of firing back was to abandon the army, and step out of the war his country was currently in to let the commander know that he will need Akhilleus and will regret never respecting him. Akhilleus's actions resulted in the deaths of many fellow soldiers, including a beloved friend of his that was a catalyst for Akhilleus's change of heart.
A negative trait like that may be quite dislikeable for readers. But to me, it's refreshing after the other stories I've read. Akhilleus's childish temper tantrums are FLAWS within a character, and due to this, the character can be seen as favorable or despicable. Unlike the 'perfect characters', Akhilleus wasn't created to just be loved. He was created to be a part of the story, and his personality was formed to blend in with the following events in the story. Whether you like him or not is the reader's choice, and with Akhilleus's persona being human and therefore relatable, it is very easy to do so despite Akhilleus's bad tempers. :)

So you see, two of the things that I think make a wonderful story are originality and in-depth characters (or just characters with flaws). :)
il y a plus d’un an sapherequeen said…
PS: I wanted to add that negative personality traits in characters make them more realistic and therefore much more relatable for characters.
il y a plus d’un an M169 said…
smile
I don't really know, everyone is different, I guess as long as it has an interesting plot and doesn't get too desciptive it's worth reading (And yes, you can get too descripive, I once stopped reading a book because it spent a whole chapter describing stuff i got bored)
il y a plus d’un an M169 said…
Emotion is a big one for me thoubgh
il y a plus d’un an Shepard14 said…
Detailed, creative but realistic characters, interesting plot line,
something that expresses real human emotion, wit, and a couple stereo types ( that always makes it fun ;) )
il y a plus d’un an 1-2vampire said…
Depth. Characters, plots, subplots, plot twists, schemes, emotions, places, backgrounds, everything; it needs depth.

Characters

They need to be as detailed and have as much background as an average being on this planet, not just a person who's fat, ugly, pretty, thin or any 2D characters stuck on a page. They need mannerisms, individual backgrounds and DEPTH.

Plot

The plot is the most important thing in a story. It needs detail, it needs a reason, it needs to be consistent throughout a story. You cannot start one plot, finish it and then go onto another. That would be a subplot, a plot is something that stays the same throughout the whole story/series. It needs the characters involved to have the depth they need to make the plot, well, make sense. The plot is very important. Sometimes you know what the main plot is from the first chapter in the book. Sometimes you can get away with that, others you cannot. A plot needs to be so much more than just a flat story with nothing to it, it needs everything else that is needed in a story to also have depth, otherwise the plot will be flat and uninteresting.

Subplots

The subplots are something to keep the reader interested, and it can't be anything slow or pathetic, it needs to keep the story exciting. It doesn't need as much depth as everything else, but it does need a little background behind it, depending on what the subplot actually is. They need to be at least a little relevant to the story, otherwise it just doesn't make any sense and the reader is like wtf is the sheet?

Plot Twists

A story shouldn't be too predictable. Otherwise it's slow and boring. That's where a plot twist comes in. It catches the reader off guard. For a successful plot twist, you need to be able to make the reader point all fingers at the other suspect or anything etc.. then you trip them up by bringing in an unsuspected plot twist, surprising them, and making them convince themselves I knew all along. I am clever. Come on, who doesn't do that?

At the moment, my brain is asleep now and I can't come up with anything clever so enjoy reading my rant that goes every so slowly into randomness.
il y a plus d’un an thomlina said…
smile
Well in my opinion if the charaters don't learn something or change their lives in a way- than there is no point. The bully must learn to be nice or the mean prissy girl needs to be shown up. The queit one needs to have a voice- thing like that. It just shows that real life can be like that. That people can change and there is such a thing as second changes.

Also it has to annoy me- to wits end! There must be plot twists and sad moments. It can't all be sunhine and loili-pops you know. But the charaters must get what they set ut for and must have a resonably good ending. Unless it's a series of unfortunate events- in that cause- saddness and misery are a good thing.

Also there must be a least a dash of romance. It doen't have to be major- we're getting married type romance. But school girl and the bad boy are always good. No matter how any times it's protreyed.

Well that's all i really have to say- find me a book like that and I will reward you with a cookie. Deal.
il y a plus d’un an Vampiyaa said…
big smile
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE
ROMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my hints may have been vague but im sure you can figure it out :D
il y a plus d’un an JPM1 said…
What makes a story worth reading?, just has to have one ingredient . . . anybody who knows anything about literature knows there are all types of stories out there, short, long, funny, romantic, filled with character, great plot, no plot, just the writing itself: As long as you can write cleanly and have at least one element, I think a book or story is good to go.
il y a plus d’un an head4heart said…
Intriguing characters. The characters have to be 3D and completely believable. And when you test them to their very limits, they need to react with style. Like Stephen King's Carrie White, they might destroy towns, or like George Orwell's Winston Smith, they might crack under pressure. They just have to react in a way that is interesting, different and appealing to readers.

I'm happy to argue with people, but I think that characters are the centre of stories. You can have great plot, but if your characters are 2D there will be nothing to drive it.
il y a plus d’un an Belatrix said…
Fantasy, but allso realistic. I think that it is more interesting when you put in it some real stuff from your own life or from life of someone else. It makes your story more interesting and it is easier to believe in it. Allso, it makes the story original and unique.

And, it's better if it doesn't have a loat of romance, like in Twilight, it get's annoying, really annoying.
il y a plus d’un an frankie_fan said…
Characters with flaws that are shown in the story and are a huge disadvantage to them and a good plotline that keeps going
il y a plus d’un an william_laughs said…
I think you're right. Emotions. A crisis or a problem. People trying to change or avoid change and being pushed one way or the other against their will.
il y a plus d’un an Lapsones562 said…
cool
Be fantasy and think random things up by music or whatever.