True Writers Stry Starters écriture Contest Round 2

dragonsmemory posted on Jul 17, 2012 at 12:53PM
Ok, you knokw the rules. I'm hoping to get more than 8 entries this round. Also, don't forget to vote for the Round 1 winner.
This week's prompt is (somewhat) in honor of Harry Potter. Remember, one entry per post, and you can post as many times as you like. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE TITLED

When your character was a child, she and hher friends thought a witch lived in the house on Devil's Lane. The woman had a black cat, kept her shades drawn, and some said she had two thumbs and could take off warts with spit.

Good luck!
save

True Writers 27 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an sadiebugz00 said…
angry
(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I WAS ALMOST DONE WHEN I ACCIDENTALLY CLICKED ON THE VAMPIRES CLUB!!!!!!!!! NOW I HATE VAMPIRES EVEN MORE. HMPH.)
hmmm
(I don't think I'm going to do mine today. I'll do it tomorrow...)
il y a plus d’un an dragonsmemory said…
Well, you have a week to get your entry in
il y a plus d’un an SweetHoneyBunny said…
smile
(I love Harry Potter)

Attacked

There was something strange going on down the road. Green lights could be seen glowing out of the windows, I could hear people shouting weird words. I rolled over and looked at the clock, 3:00 am. Getting up I grabbed my shoes and my jacket and headed outside.

It was freezing out here! I wrapped my jacket tighter around myself and walked over to Miss Geranium's house. The yard was full of mist and the windows kept flashing red and green. I walked over to one and peeked in. Inside, three woman were all standing in different places in the room, they were all holding what looked like sticks. "Why would these grown woman be waving sticks at each other?" I thought to myself. Suddenly, a light came out of one of the sticks and ran smack into the woman closest to me. She fell to the ground and was stiff as a board. I gasped, what happened? I was about to leave when I heard one of the woman shout, "Avada Kedavra!" I green flash filled the room and when it was gone and I could see into the room, one of the woman was on the floor. She wasn't breathing. She was dead. I screamed, big mistake. The woman who was still standing turned in my direction and disappeared, she reappeared in front of me. Pointing her stick at me she said, "Confundo." I was immediately hit with a wave of confusion.

I woke up and found my self in what looked like a dungeon. There were jars of things along the walls and cauldrons on long tables before me. In one cauldron, there was a golden mixture. I looked up to see someone standing at the front of the room. "You will now will a vile with the potion, being careful not to spill a drop." I found a vile and started to fill it with the gold stuff, I was a little shaky so I spilt one drop. The teacher came over and saw, "50 points from Gryffindor!"

This time, I woke up for real. My face was on my Hogwarts: A History book. I looked around, I was in the Gryffindor common room. I guess I had dozed off while studying.

Clever use of Harry Potter, my fellow Potterhead
laugh
lol Thanks :D
How long have you been a Potterhead?
big smile
Since grade 4 when my teacher made 3 of us read Harry Potter and the
Philosoper's Stone. Ever since then, I have been a Potterhead. My mom isn't very
pleased.
laugh
^ xD I started reading in them in 4th grade, too.
Started when my kindergarten teacher gave me SS. I was 5
il y a plus d’un an hgfan5602 said…
worried
I'll do it tomorrow since I'm trying to finish the Westing Game...Hope you guys don't mind...
Don't mind at all. You have a week
il y a plus d’un an POPclogger216 said…
Momma Knows Best

When I was a little girl, my momma always told me to be nice to everyone I saw around me. You never knew who could end up being a friend. When we would walk down the street in our little town, a wave and a smile was given to everyone we passed. We'd stop and chat with the cashier while hunting for new buttons, bring cookies over to the new couple moving in across the street.

I tried to live up to this the best I could. It was fun, most of the time. Except for when I was eleven, and she wanted me to bring a 'surprise care package' to The Devil's Lane Witch, as my friends and I called her.

At first I was opposed to calling an old lady such a horrid name, but it grew to be almost impossible to not see her as a witch. In our minds, the evidence was all laid out plainly: She lived in an old house (on a road called 'Devil's Lane', no less). Check. She had a black cat. Check. She always kept her shutters drawn. Check. And the rumors of her having two thumbs, and the ability to take off warts with her spit only added to the mental image. We planned going to her house at night and sneaking around, to see if she really was a witch, but we never got passed the second lightpost before turning around. Halloween was a favorite among the boys, who would go to her house and cover it in anything from toilet paper to garlic. It was quite stupid, actually. She was a witch, not a vampire.

Anyhow. My mother wanted me to take a package with a note over to the Wit- I mean lady for her, telling me it was urgent. I had begged her if she could go, but she had been terribly sick the past week, and was only getting worse. This meant I had to go. I knew she favored my little brother.

I grabbed a couple of my friends for support (but mostly to be sure someone could warn my parents of my horrible fate), and stood in front of the giant old door with the bronze knocker at the front of the house. The package was uncerimoniously dropped on the top step, the knocker was used, and then I ran for my surely condemned life, the sound of the old door opening driving my legs to pump even faster down the lane to catch up with my friends, who had decided to wait for me, conviently out of sight of the house. We ran back all the way back to my house, up the stairs, into my room, where we started talking about just how scary it was, how fast our hearts were going, and how she would cast a spell on us for interrupting her slumber.

That was thirteen years ago. My Momma passed away about twelve, from the tumor we found out was inhabiting her brain. And a week ago, we got an invitation to Analeigh Hope Stegink's (a.k.a The Devil's Lane Witch) funeral. During and after that funeral, I found out a few things. 1. Her, my dad, and my mom were best friends growing up. 2. She kept her shades drawn because of a skin disease she had. She also did have a second thumb on her right hand, a birth defect that was never removed. And, looking at her tranquil, weathered face, 3. I really, really wish I had stayed when I dropped off that care package all those years ago. I can guarantee there was a best friend right there, hidden underneath the wrinkles and warts.
last edited il y a plus d’un an
Interesting
hmmm
I've decided not to participate in this one, even though I love Harry Potter. I just can't think of anything. Maybe the next prompt will be a better fit for me. I'm still going to vote, though.
Maybe. Next week's prompt is food-themed
smile
Okay... :)
I hope you're hungry. And watch for other prompts and tips in the articles section
smile
Okay. Thanks.
No problem. I hope to see you in week 3!
The Killer of Devil's Lane

My name is Clarissa. Today, our neighbors suddenly moved out, and warned us of the new neighbors moving in. Something like, "Killer. Devil. Wizard." It sure sounded creepy, and I didn't want to meet my new neighbors, but my parents, being their kind selves, said that they had to make a fruit cake for them. In the afternoon, when I met the woman, she said her name was Jainzsott. She walked a black cat. That woman must be really bad luck, I thought suspiciously. Jainzsott lived on Devil's Lane, next to my house. She kept her shades drawn, said she had two thumbs, and that she could take off warts with spit!!! AND, she told that to my PARENTS!!! What kind of old lady doesn't know that parents never believe things as far-fetched as THAT??? Well, I sort of believed it...but my parents just laughed, thinking it was a joke. They were like, "Nice one!" Parents never grow up...(sighs) She walked over the next morning, placed her hand on my head, and said, "Jainzsott shall help you. You shall die...a horrible death..." I got my reflexes ready, sensing that she would somehow....kill me? Anyhow, I kicked Jain in the gut. She died, and I won. Turned out that that old lady Jain was a serial killer also mastered in the art of witchcraft. My old neighbors, were good wizards, and they came back, telling me that I had a great future ahead of me.
Curious take.
Thanks! ...I guess XD
It'll be interesting to see how the voting goes this week.
Yes you are right dragonsmemory. Good luck to everyone who wrote for this week's writing contest!
There are so few this week.
STORY STARTERS WRITING CONTEST ROUND 2 IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE PROCEED TO THE POLLS TO VOTE