Repo! The Genetic Opera What Would toi Like To Say To The Creators Of Repossession Mambo?

giddyseizures posted on Mar 03, 2009 at 08:36PM
It is apparent that the creators stole the idea from Repo! (and even admitted to being inspired by it) and they are already getting more press.

On IMDb the plot is written as: Set in the near future when artificial organs can be bought on credit, it revolves around a man who struggles to make the payments on a heart he has purchased. He must therefore go on the run before said ticker is repossessed.

Sound familiar? Unfortunately "enough" of the plot was changed so no actions can be taken.

They also have large funding and a famous cast meaning that more people will know about it. It makes me very enraged. Unfortunately, the creators of Repo! can't do much about this.

Also our beloved Repo! creators went to Universal first to see if they would make a movie of Repo! before they went to Lionsgate and they said sure... as long as the musical aspect was taken out of it. Now Universal is making Repossession Mambo instead

What does this make you think?
last edited on Mar 03, 2009 at 08:39PM

Repo! The Genetic Opera 5 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an Chromaggia said…
I've only skim-read an article about this new film so please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read I got that Repossession Mambo will do better than Repo! because:
- it's got a more famous cast than Repo!, featuring Jude Law and Forest Whitaker
- it has larger funding so more money to play with special effects and advertising and whatnot
- it's not an opera so it will appeal to a much broader audience.

Now my points/rant
- Jude Law? He's still acting? I don't think I've seen him in anything since AI! That's meant to be a lead? Phhf, as if. And to me, Forest Whitaker can only play cops (think Panic Room and Phonebooth) so he's obviously going to be hunting Law. I doubt he'll surprise us and add to his acting resumé just yet.
- good special effects does not equal good movie (did anyone catch The Day The Earth Stood Still?). Advertising is another matter: Lunaste made a comment in another article about if Repossession Mambo did well, maybe Repo! would gain more recognition. I agree, hopefully Repo! can piggy-back onto this film's advertising.
- okay, I don't have much to rant about the third point. Operas or musicals aren't for everyone. :D

So, a rant in conclusion, Repo! should definitely get a nod in this film's billing. It's a clear rip-off and the makers better acknowledge that or they'll have the Repo! Army onto them!
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an Lunaste said…
Yes, I read that Universal would have loved to have done Repo! if it hadn't been a musical, so I guess they just went for a rip-off instead.

I want to be angry about this, but meh, it happens (remember when Shark Tale came out just after Finding Nemo's success?).
Thanks for the nod, Chromaggia, I do hope that Repo! can piggyback on this, yeah. I mean, Repo! fans are vocal and militant (I mean that in a good way, haha) enough that they're probably going to kick up a fuss when the movie comes out, saying that it ripped off the idea from Repo!. The best outcome would be for Repo! to get some more attention, that people who liked Repossession Mambo check out Repo! too and that there's some extra mojo for a second Repo! movie :)

Also, eww, Jude Law.
il y a plus d’un an designer_heart said…
laugh
Never heard of this movie. But I, too, hope Repo! will gain fame. And I eagerly await more
il y a plus d’un an giddyseizures said…
Of course... the movie has been renamed Repo Men... way too similar to the 80s film title Repo Man and now much more similar to Repo! The Genetic Opera. But again I hope Repo will get noticed through this.
il y a plus d’un an DustyForgotten said…
Oh, and Repo! does get noticed through Repo Men. People talk about wanting to see it, I demand they come over to my house that Friday. Then we watch REPO! and declare Repo Men a rip-off. Works every time!