Inheritance Cycle The Meaning of War - Only chapters 1&2 - moved it to 'The Fanfic' club

DMLIME posted on Feb 03, 2012 at 07:53PM
Rating: The same as Inheritance Cycle
Characters (from old book): Eragon Kingkiller, Saphira Bartjskular, Arya Drottning, Firnen Edoc'sil, Blodgharm and the other elves, Glaedr and te Eldunari.
New Characters: Read it.
Synopsis: It is set 200 years after Inheritance so only read if you have read all four books of the Ineritance cycle.

Disclaimer: C. Paolini owns most of this, includin Alaagaesia and lots of the characters. All credit goes to him.

I'll post every sunday and special occasions.

Comments are much appreciated!
 Rating: The same as Inheritance Cycle Characters (from old book): Eragon Kingkiller, Saphira Bartjsk
last edited on Jun 22, 2012 at 07:08PM

Inheritance Cycle 18 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an DMLIME said…
smile
I'll post the first chapter this Sunday! :D
il y a plus d’un an dragonsmemory said…
Can hardly wait! I have my own fanfic going at the mmoment. It's called New Rider.
smile
Oh cool, guess I 'll have to check that out. :)
Comment on it when you finish. I'd like to know what you think.
Okay, so first chapter! If I don't get enough comments (like one or two between each chapter) I'll move it to another, more crowded club. Anyways, Enjoy!

Oh and chapter 2 is like 4 a4 pages so don't worry about how small this one is.

Chapter 1: A brief history

It had been 200 years to the day that Eragon had left Alagaesia to train the next generation of Riders so that they could patrol his former home in search of ultimate peace. The most surprising yet pleasing experience for him was his ageing; or rather, his lack of it. He looked only a few years older by human standards. He kept his beard shaven and clean and he was always in good physical condition. He ate well and was seemingly content with his new post. He had arranged a schedule with Nasuada and Arya and Hrothgar and Nar Garzhvog so that a certain amount of eggs would be transported to Alagaesia. The leaders of each race would then give the opportunity to every man and woman above the age of 18 to bond with a dragon egg. So far 8 eggs had hatched. It seemed that the dragons, who had been in cave for hundreds of years, had grown shy of bonding.

But the largest change of all was by far the size of Saphira. In their first 100 years on Isilwen, most of which was spent building a safe home and environment, she had had what could only be described as a magical growth spurt. She looked as if she could lift mountains across the world and not break a sweat. She was larger than Glaedr and he suspected she was almost as large as Belgabad, the largest dragon ever. Saphira herself certainly liked to think so.

One thing that had not changed with either of them was their yearning. Eragon’s for Arya and Saphira’s for Firnen. Eragon remembered a time when Saphira said that dragons did not mate for life. But even so, he had trouble believing that Saphira could feel so strongly about another dragon. He could feel her emotions roar up when she thought of him and suddenly slip away as quickly and easily as the Belt of Beloth the Wise had slipped out of his own reach.

Another grief had gripped him when he heard of Roran and Katrina’s death; their daughter, Ismira, too. A few years after her birth Katrina bore another child, a boy, named Brond. He did not die. In fact, he went on to become a Rider making his father more proud than any in the world.

The best news he had heard since his departure was that Murtagh would be joining him in the next decade. He had sent word through many messengers and so Eragon could not be certain of the true message. That he would be here soon and with good intentions were most of which he could derive. It pained him that he had not seen his half-brother in so long, and plus...

He could do with some help with the training.
last edited il y a plus d’un an
smile
I can't wait for chapter 2! WRITE IT NOW!
wink
I'll post chapter 2 when I get a few more comments. :)
I was really looking forward to it, too. Darn.
hmmm
I noticed there isn't too many people on this club reading forums...Maybe I'll transfer it too the Fanfic, a place where there's more people and it's for any type of Fanfic.
sad
You'll have to give me the link. I really don't know my way around this kind of stuff. I did notice that since the series is done, people aren't using this club.
OK, I'm posting the second chapter, but then I'll probably start the forum again on The Fanfic. I'll give the link but for now, here's the chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter 2: Finally, an Urgal

Eragon was becoming frustrated with the slow process of increase of Carod’s sword skills. When an egg had hatched, the Rider would be taken to Rhunon, the elf who had crafted the Riders’ swords long ago. She was the same smith who had helped make his own sword, Brisingr. When they had raided Galbatorix’s vaults, they found a large hoard of swords, among them Undbitr, the sword of his father Brom. He gave them to Rhunon in Ellesmera before he left Alagaesia. He learned later on that she had melted the swords and was stocked up with wagon-loads of brightsteel, the metal from which they are crafted. She had taken up her former post and every time a Rider visited her, she would read their minds and craft a sword fitting to them and matching the colour of the scales of the dragon. The Rider’s that were trained by Eragon would not have names to their swords, not yet at least. They had been in no wars to have names put to their blades. Although it would give them much glory, Eragon hoped that their skills would not have to be used.

Especially since Carod could not wield a sword to save his life.

Okay, that was an exaggeration. He had some skill, but it was equal to that of Eragon when he was in Palancar Valley. Carod was a human with blonde hair that dangled on his shoulders. He had a thin body but he was not weak. He had a stern face like he was constantly determined to prove himself. Most likely to his dragon: a female named Jura. She was truly magnificent. She had extremely strong red scales. Their colour was not as harsh as Thorn’s but a red that was very intense. She set the bar very high if dragon and Rider were to be equal.

He will learn to swing a sword when you learn to be patient. Saphira said.

"I know, it’s just.....I don’t know how to help him anymore. I can try but it’ll take a long time. This would be so much easier with Arya." He replied.

I myself could do with a claw in training the dragons. I expect Firnen has grown in strength and skill. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen him.

He could feel her wistful emotions rise up and she was happy for a moment, happier than she’d been with anyone apart from himself. Those good feelings were swept away again and she continued to teach the dragons of different flight manoeuvres.

Eragon then got back to his own teaching. He had the elves fight the Riders. Sometimes this arrangement would change depending on who he took up to personally train. He almost never gave the elven Riders much advice. Their vast knowledge of the Ancient language and of their past with dragons gave them a large advantage in their lessons. One area where they didn’t have an advantage was when fighting with the sword of a Rider.

“Don’t lower your defence Carod! Look, I could have caught you straight through the face right then and you would have fallen and died.” He lectured.

“But when will we ever have a need to fight master? When will we ever be in a war?” He asked. It was a good question, but fortunately Eragon had a good answer.

“We won’t, not any time soon. But who knows the future? If there ever is a war you will need to be a great swordsman.” When he asked that question his mind immediately brought itself to Angela, the herbalist. An old friend, strange, but harmless if she took a liking to you.

“I understand, master.”

“You should not despair at your lack of skill with a blade, Carod. You are exceptional with magic even by the elves’ standards.” He reassured him, sensing the boys’ feelings. “In fact, I want to try something with you if you don’t mind. It might drain you a little but I promise you a rest afterwards.”

“Of course master.”

“Come with me then.”

They had presently been training in the peaks of Mount Peace as Eragon had named it. Mount Peace was in the centre of Isilwen. Isilwen was a name Saphira had thought of for the Island when they arrived. On top of Mount Peace they had, with the help of Blodgharm and the other elves, crafted a large castle and a valley with homes large enough for all the dragons to live in. He had made much with his and Saphira’s memories from their short time on Doru Araeba. He also had the help of Glaedr, Umaroth and other Eldunari. Saphira was teaching the dragons high up and Eragon called to her, I want to teach him something new but I’ll need you and Jura.

We’ll be there in a moment.

True to her word, Saphira came hurtling towards the ground, Jura trailing behind. Although it seemed as though her weight would plough through the mountain, Saphira landed lightly on the ground. The same could not be said for Jura, who was much less trained and skilled.

Spread your wings earlier and balance yourself. Saphira growled.

Yes Ebithril. She replied, cowering slightly.

"What were you just saying about patience?" Eragon asked Saphira privately.

Then she turned her head and snarled at him, Just get on.

Then as he attached the saddle, he noticed how quickly Carod had attached the saddle to Jura. It was strange how nowadays he was able to notice almost every change, every little difference or irregularity. Besides, it was better to see everything than nothing at all.

Although he was over 200 years in age, he had never found an experience more exhilarating than flying. He could tell it pleased Saphira too. Carod and Jura were right behind us, Jura making a strong effort to get beside Saphira and match her pace. Eragon assumed Saphira would slow down slightly for Jura but to Eragon’s confusion she sped up leaving them to the mercy of her wake. Fortunately she spiralled out of it.

"What was that for?" Eragon asked.

She is the greatest dragon here apart from Caloric. She can be so much better, but she lacks the confidence to do something about it. In time I believe she could best him in a fight. She replied.

"I understand." He really did too. Caloric was the dragon of Brond, the first Rider to be taught by Eragon. Brond was the son of Eragon’s cousin, Roran. He looked astonishingly like his father. His dragon too was one to remember.

They flew towards the beach on Silven Shore where the sand was warm and as Saphira had said before, It is good for your scales, at least that’s what Glaedr told me.

While their dragons lay curled up on the beach and Saphira was giving advice to Jura, I brought Carod to a place where there were some of the most beautiful pebbles I’d seen in my life. I took one and told him the words on how to teleport an object from one place to another.

“It takes a great amount of energy, even for something as small as a pebble. An interesting fact: were it not for this spell, I would not be here today. It was this spell that brought Saphira’s egg to me.” Eragon said, smiling at the memory of himself, hunting in the Spine.

“Where should I move it to?” Carod asked.

“Only a few feet away, hopefully it shouldn’t drain you too much.” He replied.

Carod picked up a pebble in his hands and whispered the words of the ancient language. The pebble appeared in the air 10 feet away from where they were standing and dropped to the ground just as Carod stumbled and fell forward on his hands and knees. He began to breathe quite heavily and Eragon fed him a little energy so he could stand up.

“Are you alright?” He asked.

“Yes master. D-did I do well master?” He stuttered.

“You did better than me on my first try.” Eragon told him and smiled.

As they gathered closer towards their dragons they could feel their emotions and both were calmer than when the two Riders had set off.

- and that’s why I am hardest on you. Saphira said.

I understand Ebithril. And...Thank you. She replied.

“Carod, tell the others of your victory and let them know that they can do with the afternoon as they please.” Carod’s face lit up and it filled Eragon with great warmth.

“Thank you Eragon-elda and Saphira-elda.” He replied. Then they took flight and soared through the sky. It was a magnificent sight and he wondered how great it looked when he and Saphira flew. Then a dark thought came back to him.

What is it little one? She asked.

“It troubles me that in 200 years, not a single egg has hatched for an Urgal.” He admitted.

You should not worry. They are beings that are unfamiliar to us and think differently. It will be a while before one will hatch. She said.

“Yes, but you know of the Dwarves hatred for the sky and even they have a Rider, be it only one.” He shot back, not meaning to be so snappy.

Alright but I think we can both agree on the fact that this dwarf is no ordinary kind. He is strange but strong and fearless. I imagine that is what gives him the courage to go higher than any dwarf has in the races existence.

She made her point fairly well, but the thought still picked at Eragon. Another war could start. Not having a Rider could undermine them; take away their glory. That would be terrible. Over the years Vanir, the ambassador, had reported large reproduction rates in their species. They had been forced to live with humans in Palancar Valley because of their population. Vanir suspected – but he dare not share his guess with anyone else – that they were fast becoming the largest population in Alagaesia and should they want to take over, they would have a good chance at completing their goal. He suggested that just in case, Eragon and Saphira should train doubly hard and so they had also taken the precaution of sending one more egg and it lay there, waiting for a Rider.

They then flew back up to Mount Peace and lay on the grass, collecting their thoughts.

A few hours of worrying later, Brond and Caloric swooped up towards them from what seemed to be Silven Shore. Eragon touched their minds and sensed their distraught.

“What is the matter?” he asked.

“Ebithril, you must come! Vanir has arrived at the docks and says he will speak with you or Saphira. Neither I nor Caloric could convince him and I thought it wrong to search his thoughts. It is strange though. On all his other visits he speaks openly with us.

"What do you make of this?” he asked, out of breath.

“It is strange. We will fly there now. You must all wait here. Send word to the others.”

With his last word he climbed on to Saphira and they set off towards the docks at lightning speed. Although she was going insanely fast, Saphira touched down lightly on the ground. They spotted Vanir and walked towards him. He, on the other hand, decided it would be best to run to them. He came to an abrupt halt and spoke urgently,

“I have great and troubling news. Which would you like first?”

“I’ll take the good news first. It’s always nice to start on a happy note. Oh and also, how is the problem with the elves going?” He replied.

“It’s not great and nor is it progressing for the better. It will take time. On a happier note the egg in the Urgal camp has hatched to an Urgal by the name of Tarik Fiznor, who named the dragon Shok’tarl.”

“That is great news!” he stated, rather happily too.

“Yes, but the bad news I’m afraid is that he is a rather rebellious Urgal and has unfortunately decided to train himself with the Urgals.”

“Oh.”
last edited il y a plus d’un an
link

This is where I've moved the forum to. Please read!
Thank you. The story is really good.
il y a plus d’un an dark_vanyar said…
heart
Love the story!!!!!
il y a plus d’un an dsalvatore13 said…
DMLIME this is great!!!
^Thanks, I'd love it if you could post on the new forum as well please, Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy it!
il y a plus d’un an Sato_Sumire said…
wink
Hahah, ur literature is great, I bet u study very well at school ^_^
I guess i am pretty good...lol only joking, but check out the rest on the 'Fanfic' and comment there