Are we rating things deservedly?
Hi there guys, your friendly neighborhood PLH here with an odd, backwards kind of request from you.
Now it has been a dit before that this spot is an excellent place in terms of fans rating other user's content! I mean on the majority of photos toi may be getting 10+ rates, most of the icones toi might be finding 4 ou 5 rates on each one, which is a lot donné how many of them there are!! Even most of the screencaps have been rated, which even my rater whore self wouldn't be able to do! So yes, this spot is an excellent place for your content to be rated! So toi may be asking why i am making a forum on this but I do have one, strange, issue with the rating on this spot:
I think that in general we rate things too high!! Quite often when I get to the pictures (icons ou whatever) I find that they are all rated 5 stars, ou 'awesome' as fanpop classifies it. Now this can be interpreted in a few ways:
1) The fans here are very very very very very nice!! But we knew that anyways!!
2) People aren't looking at each individual thing they rate, just rating.
3) There is nothing wrong with this, all the content here is awesome!
4) We have a minor problem...
And the last option is the one I am going to explain for toi here.
The point of rating on this website is so that fans can differentiate between content, as judged par other fans. This way, toi could easily see the better icones in a huge bunch of them because they would have a higher rating. However when they are all rated 5s toi can't do that, and it makes rating pointless apart from helping other fans getting médailles (which isn't even necessarily true...).
So what I am recommending is this:
What we seem to be doing now is rating everything we come across with a five, but how about we tone this down a little? Make your default rate a 4, which is still classified as 'great' par the rating system. This way will allow us to see the difference between the usual content we see added constantly every day, and the content that really shines out and deserves special attention.
Also, rating everything as a 5 constantly means that when toi see something toi really really really like, there is no way of montrer that unless toi comment, but that doesn't help new other fans find it! par rating everything a 4 toi can highlight the awesome content hidden in all the great stuff!! Some other points I want to bring up on rating in general:
1) toi should never rate something low because of your opinions on the character/ship! This is another form of bashing, and really not cool people! If it a good article/picture/etc then it deserves a good rating, regardless of whether toi agree with it ou not!!
2) Please do always rate. It is so frustrating to see a picture with 100 ou so vues and only a couple of rates! link
wrote an excellent link
on this a couple of days ago.
3) Don't rate low just for the sake of it! This is called trolling, and it very frustrating! If someone has put a lot of effort into something, ou even a little, it deserved to be recognised! Don't go round rating 1s and 2s for the sake of it!
4) This is plus aboot adding content, but toi should always try to use mots-clés (my test for what makes for good use of mots-clés is "if I was looking for this would I be able to find it quickly?"). Also, crediting is very important!! If toi are adding something to fanpop but didn't make/write it yourself, then the person who did deserves the credit! Now if toi don't know who to credit, toi could just fill the box with "I don't know" ou "I am unsure", ou something along those lines!
5) Along similar lines, when toi come across an image/article/link with poor keywording and credit, try not to give it 5 stars, regardless of how good it is. in my mind something only deserves 5 stars if it has the whole package. And to be honest, is it really [i]that[i/] hard to add a few mots-clés to the things toi add??
Ok, I know that article/rant was kind of long and boring,but thank toi guys for reading, means a lot to me!! My main point I'm trying to get across is...
Is everything really that awesome??