Harry Potter vs Twilight Harry Potter & Twilight Short (or possibly long) Comparison

souflizzle317 posted on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:47PM
Before I start, I want everyone to know that I have read the Harry Potter series over 10 times and I've read the Twilight series 3 times so I'm very familiar with everything in both series. So please, I would appreciate if I wasn't accused of hating on Twilight without reading it. Okay? Thanks :)

So before I start, I'm just going to say that I enjoy Twilight but Harry Potter is a million times better. Last spring I went to LeakyCon and there was a talk with Melissa Anelli and one of the members of the audience said something that reflects the way I feel about the two series:

"Twilight is a hot weekend on the beach, but Harry is my soulmate."

It's *not* supposed to mean that Twilight is sexy and Harry Potter is all about romantic love. It means that I enjoy Twilight on a light, superficial level while Harry Potter will always mean much more to me. Anyway, on to the short comparison, inspired by comments on the '1000 reasons why Harry Potter is better than Twilight" forum:

1. Fan arguments:
This isn't about arguments between HP fans and Twilight fans. I mean that fans of Twilight have exactly one thing to argue about. Edward vs Jacob. And we all know how that will end anyway. In Harry Potter, there are so many different topics that fans can debate. There are romantic "ships" like will Hermione end up with Ron or Harry? Will Harry end up with Ginny? Will Neville be with Luna? What about Dean Thomas? Draco Malfoy? There's also the argument about who's evil. Snape, mostly, fits this category. HP fans debated whether or not he was evil until they finally found out the truth in the end of DH. And there was always, who will die? There were so many theories behind who would die in DH. Which Weasley? A member of the trio? Members of the Order? Members of the DA? Hagrid? I don't think anyone was even sure about Harry himself surviving because they had evidence to support that he would have to sacrifice himself to defeat Voldemort. That's what I call unpredictable, suspenseful, and a great way to pass the time between book releases.

2. Love
I know it's been addressed about 3587235703 times, but I have to bring it up. I'm going to go against all HP morals and say, yes, maybe Bella and Edward really love each other. Same with all the Cullens and their respective significant others. But that's the only love in Twilight. Romantic. Sure, Bella and Alice are friends, but never once is there a mention of a deep bond of friendship between them. In Harry Potter, there's romantic love (Ron & Hermione, Harry & Ginny, Remus & Tonks, Bill & Fleur, and more), sibling love (all of the Weasleys pretty much sums it up), love between friends (I'm not even going to go there, there's so many bonds of friendship in Harry Potter), parental love (HELLO!? Lily *died* to keep Harry alive! Molly Weasley committed murder because Bellatrix was threatening her daughter, Narcissa Malfoy risked her life to find her son and keep him safe), and even love between teachers and students.

3. Complexity/Predictability
Is that even a word? Whatever, I hope so. Twilight has exactly one plot, and a weak one at that. And everything is so predictable. You know that no main characters are going to die and you *know* that Bella's going to pick Edward and turn into a vampire. But in Harry Potter, for one thing, there's so many subplots. There's always the main main plot of Voldemort trying to take over, and then the main plot in reference to each book. And under even that, there's always subplots. You also never know what's going to happen. Like I said before, no one was sure about *anyone* surviving the last book, even Harry. And that's because JKR is brave enough to kill off main characters.

4. JKR vs Smeyer
I would use the defense that Twilight is Smeyer's first book so she doesn't have a lot of experience, but Harry Potter was JKR's first book too. Smeyer uses way too many fancy adjectives and she fills up her books with useless information that we don't need to know. Ex: if you took all the scenes with Bella cooking for Charlie, we could probably fill up a whole book by itself. We also don't need to know about her schedule, homework, or what she thinks as she falls asleep. JKR, on the other hand, seems like she's putting in useless detail but it really is a huge part of the plot later on. Ex: the locket from when they were cleaning in OOTP, talking to snakes in SS, Wormtail's silver hand in GOF (kills him in DH). Also, Smeyer created a happy little fairytale. No one dies or even gets injured, everyone lives in peace and harmony, and everyone just happens to be absolutely perfect. JKR created a world, as real as it could be, with laws and games and deaths. She killed off so many amazing people in DH that it was realistic of a real war. Not to mention that throughout the series, readers got so attached to these characters that they felt true sadness whenever there was a death. If someone had died in Twilight, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash.

And most obviousy, we do *not* need to be reminded of what Edward looks like every ten pages. JKR, very sensibly, describes her characters once, when they're introduced, and simply *adds* (not repeats) detail as the story progresses.

Well there are so many more reasons but I said this would be short and I want to try and stick to that guideline. Twilighters, please don't yell or threaten me. Please be respectful if you're going to argue my points. HP fans, I hope you agree with me but if you want to argue some of my points, that's ok too :) I love a good debate, as long it's respectful and I don't feel threatened. Thanks for reading!

xo-souflizzle317

Harry Potter vs Twilight 4 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an XDRoseLuvsHP said…
smile
Great comparison! Fully explained, defended, and reasoned. (See, for those of you who do not know how to make a decent argument, this is a very good example for you.)

The only thing I would argue is that I do not think Bella and Edward are in love, but you've probably heard this about ten trillion times already.

But still! Amazing argument!

:D
il y a plus d’un an souflizzle317 said…
haha yeah I know they aren't in love, but I didn't want Twilighters attacking me and being all "edward is HAWT and he loves bella so much and bella LOVES him" I do think that Carlisle & Esme love each other but none of the other Cullen couples. *Especially* not Bella and Edward.

and thanks :) I see all these articles by people talking about Harry Potter vs Twilight and I decided I wanted to put in my own opinion.
il y a plus d’un an christie_skouta said…
smile
AMAZING! This is exactly how i feel! And twilight has all these crappy messages. Like "Do whatever your boyfriend tells you" or "Don't have any friends, you don't need then anyway as long as you are with your boyfriend". And nothing exciting ever happens. In BD i was expecting this HUGE battle and I was so up for it and... nothing. It was disappointing. Come on... You may didn't wanted to kill the main character but for goodness sake KILL SOMEONE (that you'd heard before and not in this chapter, because killing Irina did NOTHING to me). After you get over Edward the book is just crap!
il y a plus d’un an LoopyLuna96 said…
smile
I agree completely, you put forward very good points.