Santana and Finn. Mercedes and Puck. Sue and... Sue. For all of Glee\'s totally memorable, completely lovable couples, the show has had its fair share of romantic missteps. But no twosome has irked fans quite the way Rachel (Lea Michele) and Sam (Chord Overstreet) has. It\'s understandable since Rachel was obviously supposed to end up with Finn, but now that it\'s been more than a year since Glee said a sad goodbye to Rachel\'s former better half, is Trouty Mouth really such a bad alternative? Following their romantic duet, and equally swoon-worthy smooch, it\'s time to make the case for "Samchel"... or "Ram":
1. He has a sense of humor. This cannot be stated enough. Sam has always been a very important source of comic relief on the sometimes overly dramatic Glee - especially in recent years - and with someone who experiences such extreme ups and downs as the temperamental Rachel, having a partner who doesn\'t take things so seriously might be a nice yin-yang. Plus: If Rachel ever decides to return to TV - maybe next time for a variety show - Sam\'s extensive list of impressions will definitely come in handy.
The most memorable Super Bowl halftime performances
2. He\'s resourceful. Let\'s face it: Rachel is not the most practical person. We don\'t say it in a bad way. It\'s why we love her! She dreams big, she aims high and even when she fails, she does it in the most spectacular fashion humanly possible (whassup lowest-rated show ever). But for someone whose aspirations lie pretty much 100 percent in the fickle world of the arts, she may need someone more stable to lean on. At first glance, Sam doesn\'t seem to the fit the bill. But think about it: When his family needed money, he created a lucrative career for himself as a male stripper named White Chocolate. When Mercedes wanted to make it big as a singer, Sam posted video of her singing online and helped her land a music deal with an indie label. He\'s not a bad guy to have in your corner.
3. He knows how to follow his dreams. Sure, Sam\'s aspirations to be a model didn\'t really stick, but the important thing is that he had a goal and he did everything he could to make it happen. Whether it\'s Broadway or a TV show or getting the New Directions permanently reinstated, Rachel will also set her goals high, and she will also need help reaching them. Also, there are worst things in life than dating a former model.
4. He has hobbies. All of the characters on Glee, save for Sue\'s brief stint as a local TV commentator, don\'t seem to have much (read: any) room for activities or personal interests outside the halls of McKinley High. But not Sam! Again, he could really teach Rachel a thing or two about mellowing out.
5. He has a pretty positive track record. Over the years, Sam has dated Quinn, Santana, Brittany and Mercedes. Some might see this as a negative, particularly since Rachel and Mercedes are friends and this will surely cause complications. But if he can be a good boyfriend to all of these wildly different women, he\'s got to be doing something right. He treated Quinn well. He treated Santana well (even though she used him and tossed him for Karofsky). He treated Brittany well. And he even agreed to wait when Mercedes said she wasn\'t ready to have sex. And remember that time in Season 2 when he took Rachel and Mercedes to prom because Finn was still with Quinn? What a gentleman.
6. He\'s in touch with his emotions. Granted, most of the Glee club has this skill, but for someone as emotional as Rachel, this is an important aside.
7. No "stranger danger" here. The other upside to Rachel having feelings for Sam is that the viewers already know him. No matter who Rachel dates, if anyone, on these final episodes of Glee, fans are bound to feel very protective of her. So even if Sam might not be her ideal, perfect long-term match, isn\'t it better for her to trust her heart to someone with a seal of approval rather than Joe Schmoe? Yes.
8. He\'s still better than Brody. A stripper? Sure. But a gigolo? Never. Although fans would love nothing more than to forget that Rachel ever dated that sleazy Cassandra July-romancing prostitute, this is a thing that happened and we must enter this into our calculations.
Glee airs Fridays at 9/8c on Fox. What do you think of a potential Rachel-Sam pairing?
Mega Buzz: Who\'s Making a Big Comeback on Glee?Sue is not going to be happy about this!
Glee\'s Dot Marie Jones Opens Up About Transgender Story Line: "It\'s a Long Time Coming"Plus: Find out what\'s coming up
Lea Michele, Joe Manganiello and More Join Ryan Murphy\'s Scream QueensPlus: Which True Blood star has also signed on?
Exclusive Glee First Listen: Hear Brittany and Santana\'s Alanis Morissette-Carole King Mashup!Check out the tune ahead of Friday\'s episode
Glee Sneak Peek: Watch Lea Michele\'s Performance of "Let It Go"Watch a clip from the Season 6 premiere
Mega Buzz: Which Glee Couple Is Headed to Splitsville?See who the breakup will hurt the most
1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
© 2015 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.
Photo Credits: Adam Rose/Fox; Eddy Chen/FOX; Jordin Althaus/Fox; Corbis; Tyler Golden/FOX; Fox