débats WHY is homosexuality a sin?

Cinders posted on Oct 11, 2007 at 04:26AM
In a simply exploratory capacity, I ask those of you who are against homosexuality for religious/moral reasons to explain why it is a sin.

For the record, you are not required to quote the Bible, unless the Biblical quote explains why, and isn't simply decreeing that it is a sin.

The Bible, Leviticus especially, supports plenty of things and is against still more things. For example, Leviticus supports slavery, corporal punishment, and animal sacrifices, while it is against the touching of dead insects.

So it is clear that some of these "sins" and means of worship have fallen out of practice with modern day Christians, the reason being one can't really find much logic behind these sins, and indeed some of these "morally just" behaviors have also been deemed cruel and inhumane.

Some sins and commandments ("Thou shalt not judge," murder, theft, etc.) are self-explanatory. If one asks me to explain why those are sins, I gladly would.

So I would like to hear a well-constructed argument on why homosexuality is immoral. This is out of simple curiosity because I haven't yet found an argument that I cannot refute.

IF you can give me a non-religion specific reason for why it is wrong, ie a UNIVERSAL reason for why it is wrong, you get extra brownie points.

Anyone up to the challenge? I think the last person who held his own on this topic was dodgeball_beast. Still, we agreed to disagree. Someone persuade me.

débats 164 réponses

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 51-100 of 164

il y a plus d’un an XpsychotickissX said…
MajorDork74, btu we don't know what the "truth" is rigth now so whats wrong with us all having our own beliefs about what this "truth" is? so until we know this "truth"(we, this generation) probably wont be alive when the "truth"[if it comes] comes) we should jsut sit back & enjoy the ridiculous arguments that religon & love bring along
il y a plus d’un an Cinders said…
I'm not sure I follow, XpsychotickissX...

I think what MajorDork meant was all questions are answered in death, and we'll "know" then.

But yes, I believe he was agreeing to disagree.
il y a plus d’un an Spotty_Vision21 said…
"umm, well, God made adam and eve, not adam and steve. if you get what i mean. even though i'm religious, i'm pretty liberal and i have nothing against gays, lesbians and bis. it's your own state of mind, i believe."

Naw, he didn't make Adam and Steve OR Adam and Eve. He made Madam and Eve ;D

Course, I am an atheist so I honestly don't give a crap, but whatever.
il y a plus d’un an knifewrench said…
I know MajorDork and Seelee will think of me as a backstabber for this (being as I'm also a Christian), but I don't think homosexuality is a sin.

As posted in link form a while back, it is stated that "homosexuality" in the Bible may not mean what it does today, it may just refer to the sexual practice known as sodomy.

"Two men cannot be saved together, for the same reason that two men cannot naturally create a new life."

So a sterile couple cannot be saved? Neither can a Catholic priest (they take a vow of celibacy)?
il y a plus d’un an xhis14 said…
The only reason I'm against homosexuality is because it creeps me out. I actually don't care all that much, just as long as none of them come near me and stuff...

il y a plus d’un an blisslikethis said…
what a lovely sentiment
xhis14, straight people afraid of non-straight people creep me out. I actually don't care all that much, just as long as none of them come near me and stuff... So I think we can work out a mutual agreement not to cross paths. ;o)

I say this as teasing. I understand everyone has a prejudice of some sort. Just don't let it rule your life so much or how you treat people.
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an blisslikethis said…
oh wifey, you're so much more polite than i am haha.
il y a plus d’un an DrDevience said…
Oh SNAP!
il y a plus d’un an xhis14 said…
Well i guess I deserved that, but its not like I'm changing anytime soon. Thats the way I am, and homosexuality is the way they are. No big deal. :D
il y a plus d’un an busterbluth91 said…
Okay, i'm not going to find any bible verses or any tangible evidence about what i believe. It's what i believe and if you don't like it, TS :). First off, i am a devout Catholic, raised in a large Catholic family full of morality and values. so it may shock you to learn that i find absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality. God, i believe, has our best interests at heart and it His decision how to make us. I feel that as He is all-knowing in our creation and if he feels that an individual would find happiness with a member of their own sex, then he will absolutely put their future happiness and satisfaction above all else. I feel that it is the work of Satan, if he exists (shocker, not so sure i believe in his existence), to make our lives miserable. Isn't God's role in our lives to improve ourselves and find our place in this world before we move on to His? It doesn't matter if you believe in homosexuality, or even God himself, but if you truly look into your heart, you will see that if you are comfortable and happy with your present situation, then that is all that matters. It is my belief that God is constantly looking for ways to improve our lives and if that is by making us fall in love with a male or a female, it shouldn't matter. God is loving. God is forgiving. God is with us all, even if you deny Him.
Now, i'm not trying to change any of your viewpoints, i'm just trying to offer a perspective that has both a belief in God and a belief in homosexuality. I truly do not care if you agree or disagree with what i have said, i just hope that you will open your minds to different beliefs and become more accepting of those with whom you disagree. And honestly, it does not matter what the resolution is in this fanpop debate, it really makes no difference on the outcome of this issue, but hopefully, you will learn something new, both about the world around you and about yourself. God Bless.
OK.

To me, that response is simply lazy.

If, for example, I can point out so many ways in which it has furthered human kind, and has made people happy, and how actually it is very natural as it appears in animals, and has been around since, oh, I don't know, forever, and your simple refutation to that is: "I don't know why it's a sin, it just is," that just seems very, very weak to me. Also, very blind.
(high fives Cinders)
I could have sworn ShadowFlame was going to post something here...
il y a plus d’un an ShadowFlame said…
Yes, yes, yes, today is my second day of high school with no homework! Hazaa! And excuse anything I write here that's repeated. Even if it's my whole comment just tell me, because I have a tenancy to do that (and I have the debate through, but I'm too lazy to check my answers).

SO. Instead of copying and pasting things and changing them up to meet my standards, I'll start off by posting a link...or failing that, because I'm not technologically inclined:

Where a man and a woman love each other, sexual intimacy is understood as a gift of God to be enjoyed within the context of heterosexual marriage. However, in the Christian view, sexual intimacy is not essential to a healthy, full, and rich life. Apart from marriage, the scriptural standard is celibacy.

Sexual attraction to the same sex is a matter of profound complexity. Whatever the causes may be, attempts to deny its reality or to marginalize those of a same-sex orientation have not been helpful. Homosexual conduct, like heterosexual conduct, requires individual responsibility and must be guided by the light of scriptural teaching.

Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. Therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage.

Likewise, there is no scriptural support for demeaning or mistreating anyone for reason of his or her sexual orientation. The Salvation Army opposes any such abuse.

In keeping with these convictions, the services of The Salvation Army are available to all who qualify, without regard to sexual orientation. The fellowship of Salvation Army worship is open to all sincere seekers of faith in Christ, and membership in The Salvation Army church body is open to all who confess Christ as Savior and who accept and abide by The Salvation Army's doctrine and discipline.

Scriptures: Genesis 2:23-24; Leviticus 18:22; Mark 2:16-17; Romans 1:26-27; Romans 5:8; I Corinthians 6:9-11; I Corinthians 13; Galatians 6:1-2; I Thessalonians 4:1-8; I Thessalonians 5:14-15; I Timothy 1:15-16; Jude 7

I got that from....link

Now that that's out there, I'm going to sit back, because I'm 'taking a day off'. However, if an update pops up, I will try to reply. You must think I'm lazy aboot not writing this in my own words or anything, but I'll gladly be yelled at for that too :) Oh, and that's a very strict Christian point of view, so I don't get my extra brownie :[
OK, thanks a lot ShadowFlame... That didn't really answer my original question, but it was an interesting perspective. The question being, WHY is it considered sinful at all. I mean, think about it. Killing is a sin because you are taking away someone else's life, and interfering in their right to that life. Theft is a sin because you are injuring someone emotionally, and/or taking something that you did not rightfully earn through any means. Most of the agreed-upon "sins" like those two I mentioned are self-explanatory. The "wrongness" about them makes complete sense to 95 % of the entire population.

The fact that the religious CONSIDER homosexuality wrong is indisputable. But the Bible also claims that a lot of other things are sins and no one listens to them anymore.

Just a few quotes to consider:

"The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

"And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy. Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them." Leviticus, 21:16-23

"The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:41-42

These three quotes either advocate violence or intolerance. And yet, the "true Christian" knows that the "true message" of Christ is to be tolerant and nonviolent.

My question here is how does one cherry-pick what they like from the Bible and leave the rest of it behind? What MAKES homosexuality a sin? WHY is it wrong? Does it hurt someone, physically, emotionally, or psychologically?

My theory is this: That the Bible (mostly the old testament, by the way) claimed that homosexuality was wrong because in that time period, it may have been seen to spread disease more faster. Perhaps, at that time, it was simply a health issue.

Or, perhaps, it was simply intolerance. And in that case, if we ignore other passages of intolerance in the Bible (such as that quote from Leviticus), why not others?
Going back to what you said about killing is a sin, and we must retain from doing it because it's not in God's will and such, doesn't that fall under the category of Obedience?

Obedience. We abide by God's word and if we didn't, we'd be going against his will, because temptation might take over. I sometimes want to steal. Maybe there's an ipod i want. But being God's citizen keeps me from doing that, because I know it's wrong.

Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. (I know how you also have scripture backup, I'm not ignoring that.)

If it's God's will, we must abide, or temptasia can make us do sinful things.

I must leave it there, as it is almost time for school!
I never said killing is a sin because it goes against God's will to sin, I said that killing is wrong because you are snuffing out another person's existence. Life is all we have, when it comes down to it, and stealing life is one of the greatest crimes.

Similarly, God condones some murders in several parts of the Bible. Think about that a moment.

Let me ask you this: Would you know or feel that stealing the iPod was wrong WITHOUT the Bible? Would you know or feel that killing was wrong WITHOUT the Bible? Is the only real reason you refrain from stealing that iPod because you know it's going against God? Or do you refrain from stealing it because you know that taking an object without reimbursement hurts the second party financially? Or maybe you refrain from taking it for fear of legal repercussions? Or perhaps you refrain from taking it for all three of these reasons (God, hurting someone, and legal repercussions). But surely, God is not the only reason you don't do things you sometimes want to do.

I think you meant to say "temptation," but I wonder if Temptasia would ever want to make any of us do sinful things... Hm, evil Temptasia. Now that's a scary thought. ;o)

The thing is, ShadowFlame, that the Bible has a LOT of passages that are "God's Will." Why is it that you ignore them? For example, the passages I quoted above. Do you stay away from handicapped people? Do you kill adulterers and homosexuals? Do you keep slaves? Do you kill your children if they disobey you? Do you kill heathens? Do you believe that everyone who is not Christian is a "generation of vipers"?

If you said no to any of these, then you are NOT following God's word to the letter. And, saying no, why have you decided NOT to follow these passages? Maybe it's because you have a moral awareness that exists outside of the Bible that tells you, instinctively, that judgment, intolerance, and murder is not up to your discretion. And before you try to say that all of those points are in the Old Testament, I'll have you know that the "generation of vipers" is what Jesus called his adversaries. Jesus also said the following:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew, 10:36

So what exactly IS God's will? And why are some of His words ignored while others are not? Why is homosexuality still among one of the intolerant subjects in the Bible that is still fully supported, when so many others are neglected? Could it be the intolerance in our own souls that makes us want this passage to so badly be true?
il y a plus d’un an amazondebs said…
i don't know the bible well enough to butt in here but i just want to applaud you both it's a very interesting read and I'm looking forward to the response
Lol, cinders, I was using your comment as a reference, i didn't mean to change it around. And woah! Evil Temptasia, thanks for catching that!

You bring up a good point of the whole ipod thing. I believe the word we're looking for is conscience? I'll leave that up to you.

it's true, we tend to focus on big juicy sins, and in a way they are the most harmful to individuals, BUT God also is against greed and gossip, so we must deal with those things as well.

For centuries, people have misused the bible to make it say what they want it to say, and this is how people have been able exploit women and such, but just because some people twist and warp scripture doesn't mean it is.
i believe what you have just said backs ups cinders point, no?
*butts out again*
sorry
not entirely. she does make good points, and she has done her homework, but I'm reading between the line and fine print.
erm....i'm very confused what does that have to do with anything lol
Yes, I agree that the Bible is often warped, most recently by televangelists and right-wing radio talkshow hosts. Ann Coulter has admitted that one of her favorite passages is Matthew 10:36.

But some verses are quite clear. For example:

"And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:11-13

And the above is just a sample of the violence in the Bible. That is not out of context.

So common sense (or your conscience) dictates that killing in any circumstance is wrong, which is why no one actually kills adulterers, etc. My original question is, Bible verses aside, what would common sense say about homosexuality? How is it wrong?
Which is why I don't get my brownies. I only have Biblical backup. My perspective is so fixed. So, I will do some internet searching (unless you find that cheating)...

The idea that gay marriage is wrong because gay couples are somehow unnatural is not often stated openly, but this premise influences other arguments and lies behind many people’s negative opinions about homosexuality in general. For most people, heterosexual relationships are the norm, both in society and in nature. Homosexual relationships are thus abnormal and unnatural; therefore, they shouldn’t be validated by the state nor recognized as a form of marriage. - link

I must leave, but I will be back, oh, and check out that site a little, more, because there's well...more..
ShadowFlame, if you read the rest of the article, you would find the refutation to that claim, as it is an article that was written to respond to that claim. If you do not want to read the article, I can explain why that is not a good argument at all.

But for now, I'll simply leave you with this quote from the last paragraph of the article YOU posted:

"Ultimately, the “homosexuality is unnatural” argument fails to support the case against same-sex marriage because there is no clear and convincing content to the concept of “unnatural” in the first place."

EDIT: I have another question. If you can find no reason for why homosexuality is wrong, then why is it still one of the Bible points that you hold onto rather than discard like you did with the "anti-handicapped" and "kill everyone who's different" messages?
Earlier on you quoted Leviticus, but I honestly think it is one of the most screwed up books in the Bible. Often the people in the Old Testament wondered away from what God was trying to teach them and came up with new rules (e.g. an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth)

Leviticus can't be relied on as a guide to what's a sin and what's not a sin.
Cinders, I don't fully understand. Are you asking me why I'm making such a big deal out of homosexuality?
No. I'm asking why, out of all the ridiculous "rules" listed in the Bible (and not just Leviticus) that people ignore, is homosexuality still considered to be wrong?

And you may be interested in this: link

And knifewrench, Jesus preached that one should uphold the laws of the Old Testament, including the Leviticus command to kill your children if they curse you:

"Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." Matthew 15:2-15:4

And so, Shadowflame, my point is: We don't kill disobedient children, even though the Bible tells us to. Why? Because common sense dictates that it is morally wrong to do so, regardless of these Biblical passages. My question to you is, what makes homosexuality so morally wrong OUTSIDE of the Bible that COMMON SENSE would support its sinfulness, as common sense supports the sinfulness of murder?
Questioning is not attacking.

When I said ridiculous, I meant the laws in the Bible that make absolutely no sense. Most of these laws can be found in Leviticus. I've quoted enough of them, I don't think that needs further support.

I do not believe the Bible on the whole is ridiculous in the slightest. I believe that some have interpreted it ridiculous ways, and that it has been used often as a way to judge others more often than it is used to show compassion, which is the main ideal Jesus Christ stood for.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."-- Gandhi.

And the reason I have not changed my mind is NOT because I am not open to a compelling argument, it's because no one has given me one.

As for being narrow-minded, well... I don't know, does anyone who has been participating in these debates with me agree with this? I'm in no position to tell, really.
wow i mad frustrated and mad and right now and should probably not be debating a subject that hit close to home recently but i have to say something or the vein in my forehead will bust

I have read and heard many responses from Christians as to why homosexuality is a sin (If you feel I'm targeting Christians, sorry i feel your targeting homosexuals) and none of them have ever given me any reason to explain why someone would think it is a sin other than some quote not from god but from a prejudice straight male who happened to be around at the time the bible was written and it's not even that man's words they have been edited over and over again by the dominantly straight, white, male church.

all cinders is asking (and myself actually) is one just one single logical reason as to why homosexuality is a sin, that's not narrow minded, narrow minded would be saying "no matter what you say i won't be convinced otherwise" she is doing the exact opposite of that and trying to find the root of the belief that it is a sin

a belief which i willing admit i have no respect for, sorry i wish i could muster some but i can't so i might not be the best person to judge who is and who is not open minded on this issue but i have never seen cinders being anything other than objective
The quote was a generalization. I love and respect plenty of Christians, especially those who understand the real message of Christ, like kateliness2 and knifewrench. I respect Christians who stand up and argue for their beliefs like ClassicalNadia and ShadowFlame. I also very much respect MajorDork74 for sticking to his guns on plenty of issues, and often times being the sole voice of his viewpoint, which can take a lot of courage to defend when surrounded by people with very different opinions.

But in general, I believe what Gandhi says about many Christians being so unlike Christ. Activities such as "pray the gay away" brainwashing camps, televangelism, and condescension towards non-Christians, is very un-Christ like. I myself try to follow the basic, most important teachings of Christ. Charity, mercy, forgiveness, understanding, tolerance, and love, and allowing everyone to be who they want to be, whatever that is. That includes gays. We don't all fit into the cookie-cutter mold of the good, heterosexual, white male Christian American. And it would be frightening if we all did.
il y a plus d’un an kateliness2 said…
I can't believe I haven't seen this forum until now. Silly schoolwork.... Good thing I have nothing better to do on a Friday night than watch the Presidential Debate and then Fanpop :D

Honestly, I don't think that Cinders was attacking Christians (actually, I can't really imagine Cinders 'attacking' anyone; it's just so very un-Cinders). I think that the sole argument for homosexuality being a sin/crime is based upon different Christian interpretations of the Bible. So the reason she only addresses arguments made by Christians are because those are all she is offered :)

And, speaking as a Christian, I don't feel homosexuality to be in any way a sin, though some of my immediate family will disagree with me here. Speaking honestly, I cannot condemn love. And now knowing many bisexuals, homosexuals, and having one of my good friends recently go through a very rough patch, I do know that what these people feel is love and that it is arrogant to assume you know otherwise when you have never been in their situation.

There are so many problems that are created by everyday violence, hate, or ignorance... I don't understand why anyone would waste time or energy fighting a cause that is based upon the most pure and selfless emotion: love.
il y a plus d’un an kateliness2 said…
Oh, and Cinders, you are the antonym of 'narrow-minded.' I actually feel that you and several others on the Debate Spot have been good influences on me and I've become even more open-minded since engaging in these debates - whether or not we agree :)
"calling the Bible ridiculous is offensive."

On the debate spot, there is no "offensive".
il y a plus d’un an Sappp said…
I was not in the mood to respond to this thread but I have to say one thing:
Cinders, from everything I read on fanpop of you, I think you are one of the most open-minded persons I have ever encountered.

*high fives knifey*

not even if i say omg....sorry i just konw that irks you
Actually, that's not true. If someone is offended on the debate spot, then they have that right. But I never meant that the Bible was ridiculous. So I apologize if people were offended by something that I may have implied, but I hope I cleared up exactly WHAT I was calling ridiculous.

Even knifewrench agrees that Leviticus is an odd book. But the Bible as a whole is a fascinating read, and has plenty of good points, and quotes. My problem is, people do not always practice what they preach.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." John 8:7

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another." Romans 14:19

"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth." 1 John 3:18

And, my personal favorite, "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

I do not deny that there are plenty of good, logical, peaceful passages in the Bible. I am just confused why, when the Bible promotes love so much, is homosexuality considered to be a sin. I know these people, and they do know love. Believe me, they love as strongly as heterosexual people, and why can't they? They are in love with a person. A human being. The fact that that human being is of the same gender is absolutely irrelevant to me.

I know a lot of Christians believe that homosexuality is just lust. I feel that people who believe this, along with people who believe it to be a choice, have issues with both of these things themselves. Perhaps they find fault in themselves and decide to judgmentally cast it out onto others. Maybe they have had feelings that they do not like. Maybe, when they were a teenager (and EVERY teenager experiences lust), they made the "choice" not to focus on some particular feelings. But the Kinsley Scale theorizes that the majority of people are bisexual. Maybe that's why some believe homosexuality to be a "choice." Because sometimes, one can try and block out the part of themselves that they consider to be unclean. But the fact of the matter is, those feelings, those thoughts, those needs, those connections will always be a part of you, because it is NATURAL. VERY natural. It has been around since the dawn of man, it exists in animals, including our closest relatives, the bonobos and chimpanzees.

I feel that I may have digressed... But I'm not going to delete this. Please keep in mind that the above is simple a theory, AND a sweeping generalization. I do feel that it's arrogant, however, to claim homosexuality is a choice unless you are implying that you yourself made that choice at one point in time.

We do not choose who we fall in love with. I'm sure plenty of people here have been on dates where there was no chemistry, or have crushed on someone who didn't love them back, or maybe had someone crush on them but did not love that person back. It is just logic that we cannot choose who we are attracted to.

OK. I'm done now.
Debs, I don't agree with what you just did/said, but I will defend to the death your right to do/say so :P
And Cinders, I think I may have found the answer to this whole "why do so many heterosexuals insist on sexuality being a choice?" thing.

The answer is.... their definition of "sexuality" is different. Those who call it a choice, define sexuality as "who you choose to go out with" while others (such as myself) define sexuality as "who you are attracted to".
*dramatic music* you would die for me? awwww how sweet

ahem anyways back to serious debate

yes but to be a happy healthy well adjusted individual as god or mother earth intended you to be surly you go out with those you are attracted to?
The fifth definition in the OED on sexuality is, and I quote:

"A person's sexual identity in relation to the gender to which he or she is typically attracted; the fact of being heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual; sexual orientation."

So those who have "chosen" (;o)) to define it as "who you're attracted to" are actually backed up by one of the most respected dictionaries.
okay i am playing devil's advocate here

but what about pedophiles, they are attracted to children, they can not help that but surly the right thing to do is to resist that urge?

i am not comparing gays to perverts or pedophiles it's the only example i could think of
"But to be a happy healthy well adjusted individual; as God (or mother earth intended you to be) surely you go out with those you are attracted to?"

I don't go out with people full stop (or "period", as others call it) because I do not trust my own judgment at my current age. But if (at about 19/20 years old) I were attracted (note this being very unlikely) to someone of the same sex, I wouldn't let the fact that they were male get in the way of a relationship.

EDIT: a sign of Grammar Nazism becoming an unhealthy hobby is when you correct someone's spelling/grammar when quoting them... I need to get help :S
Recall that my definition of what is "wrong" or "sinful" is any action that causes undue harm either physically, emotionally, fiscally or psychologically to oneself or someone else.

The reason that pedophilia and bestiality etc is considered wrong in my point of view is that it causes harm. In both these cases, the sex is not consensual, because a child is not sexually mature enough to consent, and an animal can never consent. Pedophilic activity scars the child involved, traumatizing said child.

I agree that pedophiles can not help their attractions, but this IS a case of sexual deviance. There is no pedophilic behavior in animals, and animals do not mate or have sexual activities with members outside of their species. (On occasion, a donkey has been known to mate with a horse, and a bonobo may mate with a chimp, but these species are closely related enough to produce offspring, albeit sterile offspring.)

As homosexual activity is present in nature, and occurs between two consenting individuals, it hurts no one.
That is an awesome definition of wrong. Love it. That's going straight onto my morality wall of fame, along with NooBTooB's motto (Don't Be A Dick) and Jesus' rule (Love Thy Neighbor)
Knifewrench, I don't know if you've seen this already, but you may be interested in this: link
Two people deleted their posts... or one person deleted two posts. I know because this forum used to have 100 replies and now it only has 98. Suspicious...
it was J-C
and it annoys the hell out of me when people do that, now cinders looks like a arse arguing with herself lol
il y a plus d’un an Dearheart said…
Ahem. Allow me to clear something up.

The reason why we obey the "no men with men or women with women" part in Leviticus is for the same reason we obey the "brothers don't marry sisters, uncles don't marry nieces, and people don't marry their cocker spaniels" part. :) It's not the way God designed True Love or a family. (Again, Adam and EVE, not Adam and Steve.) I'm not saying that gays are horrible, disgusting people who don't deserve love. But the fact is, when people go against His design and make morally unhealthy choices, they get hurt emotionally and physically and families fall apart. My dad's counseled a lot of broken families, so we've seen lots of things first-hand. God's not stupid, okay? He knows what He's doing, lol. I won't deny that Love is the center of the Christian faith...but so is Truth. There's a fine balance there. When we become so judgmental that we are blind to the pain we are causing others and unwilling to love those who need love so badly, we are destroying what it means to be a Christian. But when we become so "tolerant" that we are blind and numb to sin, unwilling to confront it and fight against it...we are giving Satan the victory.

Anyway, the reason why we ignore the stuff about food is because there's no reason to worry about it now. God didn't give those rules about pork and insects because of "religion"; it was to protect His people! You're taking the Biblical passages out of context. Think for a second: were there hospitals, toothbrushes, hand sanitizer, disinfectant and antibiotics back then? Did they know about the germs and bacteria in meat and how to avoid food poisoning? I think not. And that is why God had to give them those particular rules; so they'd know what to stay away from and keep from getting sick. I'd think when God says something He'd know what He's talking about. We have new medicine, technology, etc to deal with those kinds of problems and we know how to sanitize things and kill germs, so it's not a big deal anymore. But when it comes to His design of a family and the kind of relationships He approves of...that's another thing entirely. I'm pretty sure there's a difference between rules about food and rules about human relationships, lol.

In short, those rules and "conservative morals" aren't about religion...they're about what can hurt us and how we can avoid it.

(And the reason why we don't do sacrifices anymore is because, again, there's no need to. The Messiah has already come and made the ultimate sacrifice for us, once and for all. Go Jesus!) :)

BTW, I don't just have the Bible to back me up. I researched homosexuality a while back and found some disturbing medical evidence, statistics, etc, that it is in fact harmful to be actively gay. I don't just disagree with it because I'm a Christian conservative, ya know. I've done my homework. :p Let me know if you'd like to see it.