Atheism I wonder...

misanthrope86 posted on Feb 16, 2008 at 09:35PM
Does it annoy you that, even as atheists, we capitalise the word God?

Is it necessary for people who do not believe in God to capitalise it? Perhaps it is out of respect for religious belief? Subconcious? Out of habit maybe?

Any thoughts?

Atheism 10 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an Dark_Silence said…
We do not capitalize it because of religion, we capitalize it because it is a proper noun.
il y a plus d’un an Dark_Silence said…
I meant that we do not capitalize it because we honor Him, but because it is addressing a person (or what a god is). Anyways, follow:
link
last edited il y a plus d’un an
il y a plus d’un an misanthrope86 said…
Hmmmmm... I see... Thanks for that.

The sceptic in me doesn't believe that the modern use of the capitalised "God" is the same as the orginal use.
So if we do use the capitalised "God", doesn't that mean that we are, in a sense, 'buying into' the christian belief that "God" is a person, or person-like? To me, it seems like part of the widespread indoctrination of religion that permeates even atheistic thought.
il y a plus d’un an hypersniper said…
it annoys me when god is referred to as a 'he' or even a person. if a god were to exist, a single all powerful superior being, an uncreated creator it would be unlike anything in the universe (certainly not humanoid) and since theres only 1, then there would be no need for reproductive organs, thus asexual.
I agree with you, hypersniper. That's partly why I questioned the use of the capitalised "God". If "god" does exist, we aren't able to know if "it" is anthropomorphic, let alone that "it" is male. So referring to "it" as a person (by capitalising the title) we are further adding to the creation of the belief that "god" is a person.
il y a plus d’un an Jillywinkles said…
I don't mind capitalizing "God", although I don't capitalize "he" or "him" when I talk about him. I guess it's partly habit, but I don't find anything wrong with it.

It's kind of like how I feel about saying "Oh my god" or "Jesus Christ!" They're phrases that have become part of the regular vernacular, and when I use them I use it in a secular way; they're just phrases.

And I guess I do believe in God in that I believe that there's this character in this book that's an allpowerful (fictional) being, and his followers like to call him God. So I don't have a problem with referring to him by his title. I don't have a problem with calling Harry Potter "Harry Potter", or Zeus "Zeus". Same difference ;)
Yeah, I think you are right Jillywinkles. Those are some good explanations.
il y a plus d’un an adavila said…
The Lord will take your soulsssa and you will burn in Hell lol

so I live in Mexico and you know how everyone is like catholic. So yeah they make this masses at my school (university) and this one time the "dean" told us that we needed to go hear the mass and I say I dont believe in that and she got really mad she started saying that I dont know what Im saying and that when a tragedy "comes" in my life I will regret what I just said

OMG I got so mad that day it was the first time that happen to me
il y a plus d’un an Sharei said…
God has to be a HE , A SHE could never fuck up everything like this ;P
just a joke ;P
il y a plus d’un an mooimafish17 said…
i make a (very sad) point not to - just a habit i got into ;)