Anne riz Myf_1992 babbling to herself

Myf_1992 posted on Aug 07, 2009 at 01:57PM
Thought it would be to start a forum asking people what they think of the books. What did you like, what didn't you like? and all that.

so, what's your opinion?

EDIT; This forum has basically turned into me talking to myself. But feel free to join in =D
last edited on Aug 20, 2009 at 01:00PM

Anne riz 20 réponses

Click here to write a response...
il y a plus d’un an Myf_1992 said…
smile
Ok so ill try and start it off, which is your fav book?

Mine is a tie between The Vampire Lestat and Tale of the Body Theif. For many reasons. TVL b'coz i like human Lestat and young vampire Lestat, and TOTBT b'coz again human Lestat is so funny, and David is cool, and i love the dog Mojo. I did find with TVL some parts seemed to drag on a bit, but that was personal taste, i wern't to kean on marius' retale of vampiric history, as fasinating as it is, it didnt have that Paris romatic feel to it which i loved.

Im currently plesantly suprised with Memnoch the Devil, it didnt sound so great but its turning out to be pretty good. havnt finished it yet but so far id recomend it. =D
last edited il y a plus d’un an
wink
Still nobody has an opinion? oky doke then.

So ill talk to myself, i do it in my head anyway.

As i said im reading Memnoch the DEvil at the moment, im kinda a slow reader so ill probably still be reading it 5 months down the line. In it there around 150 pages of lestat doing things and the rest is Memnoch talking about his life (do immortals have life? kinda confused on this) and about god creation etc. and i got to wondering, does Anne Rice believe what she's writing or is it just a fanciful idea?

Its quite a good idea, the whole creation is gods experiment, which definitly explains the neglectful and ignorance of Anne Rice's God. It's well thought through, and well researched.

But it also made me feel worried. Stupid really, but its such a difference between Godless vampire, to a book basiclly a shortened modern verison of the bible, because i loved the godless vampires, the whole question of who are we what are we why are we. and after seeing an interview with Rice about why shes stopped writing about vampires, it make me kinda sad because it was a reminder, or rather a tell that Anne's finding her faith again, and the vampires will shortly be over. its very sad to be so attached to them. but i am haha.

i might write again, when i finish the book. still got about 80 pages to go. and theres a preview of Sevent of the Bones at the back which im looking forword too.
This doesnt have much to do with Anne Rice, but there's a connection.

Anne Rice wrote Queen of the Damned, and it got turned into a movie, and Stuart Townsend played Lestat, so Townsends buisness kinda has a connection to this site. Stuart played Dorian Gray in League of Extrodinary Gentlemen, and they're making a spin off film about Dorian Gray and to be honest im a bit meeved that Twonsend isn't playing him. He was brilliant in that film, and as Lestat.

My favorite line from the film is when Gray gets shot by a machine gun, and the bullet wounds just drop off like powder, and the guy asks "Who are you?" and Gray replies "I'm complicated". I also love their vampires (another connection to Anne Rice) Willomina is amazing so classy. ( I watched the film this morning).

So i guess i should get back to Anne Rice. Do you think Louis over-rates Lestats evilness. He claims to be a deep thinker but he really doesnt think deep about other people, he falls into the lies of Claudia. Lies isntthe rigt word, more misconseptions and devious ways. He gives the impression that he doesnt have a back bone around Claudia. And boy is she spoilt. I wonder if she would have come out differently if her fathers had not spoilt her rotten and treated her like a doll.

I cant think of anything else to say, i read the first book so long ago now.
smile
I read a few pages of The Vampire Armand last night, and to be honest Im not too keen on his style. He is presicly how Lestat describes his, as distracted and deluded. His discriptions (armands) are very distracted and some would say flowery. What i mean to say is, its not very straight to the point in the way Lestat was, but then again Lestat had his moment of colourful descriptions, and Louis was a very artful character and so noticed the art and beauty in everything. What i ment to say about Armand is, he spent pages describing a scene before getting to the point of what he was actually looking at, what was actually happening. Maybe its just me, i am extreamly impatient. I couldnt wait to read Twilight so i just got my friend to tell me all that happens, and i couldnt wait to finish the book before seeing the film Queen of the Damned. I think its probably me, being so impatient.
tongue
So i've been rambling on aimlessly, so ive been trying to find an aim to my rambling. so today's rambling will be about Anne finding her faith.

I feel sad that she's no longer writing about her beloved vampires, i love them so much. But on the other hand im happy that shes in a happier place. Im sad she cant bring her vampires into this "light". but there we go.

She's desided instead to write about Jesus and God and im not sure how i feel about this. I dont think ill be reading any of it, i may re-read the vampire chronicles once ive finished. Memnoch the Devil is mostly about religion and its enough for me.

At the moment in the book Anne, or Memnoch, is pointing out how many needless wars and distruction have happened bcoz of religion, or more specific bcoz of Jesus' sacrafice, ( Memnoch i think is trying to show God it was a mistake for him to do this i.e. going to earth geting crucified and "atgyfodu" ( sorry dont know what the word is in english, when u come back from the dead)). So yer, religion, more specifically judeism, christianity and muslims, not looking so fabulous acording to the book.
hmmm
I've reasently discovered, that Ben Barnes will be playing Dorian Gray, and im a bit sceptical about it, he was ok in Stardust, and did a good job in Narnia but i just cant quite see him as Gray but ill wait to see the film for that.

I was just looking at the uncyclopedia website, and thought" i wonder what it would say about Anne Rice" so i searched for her, and at fist i thought ok this is quite funny, but after the third quote i was starting to get a little insulted, i dont know whether its me becoming a ricean version of a twihard, or whether it truely is insulting to Anne Rice. Their acount of Twilight i found very funny though.

so take a look and tell me what you think?

link
il y a plus d’un an kellyclan1 said…
The Vampie Lestat is my absolute favorite book of all time!!!!, I read Interview with the Vampire when I was 13 because Alice Cooper said in an interview that it was his fave book and I've been hooked on Anne Rice books ever since. I did think that Tale of the Body Thief was complicated and kinda hard to read but I got through it.
similar thing happened to me, david draiman (disturbed) said he was a huge Anne Rice fan and had read all her vampire chronicles, so i decided i had to too.
hmmm
Do you reckon its weird that Lestat site has 146 fans, and Anne Rice only 63?

You'd think it would be the other way around. Atleast i do.
zzz
I was thinking about boredom, bcoz im bored at the moment. Is boredom, in your opinion, a good thing or a bad thing? For me boredom is annoying, mum says boredom is good bcoz it pushes you to find entertainment, and you need boredom to appreciate entertainment. plus if it wasnt for boredom i dont think lestat would do half the things he does. But personally i dont like boredom when it happens to me.

do you get bored easily, can you entertain yourelf easily?
So i was wondering, why did Rice choose to use a Male protaganist for her story, her being female and all, and she said that Lestat was essetially her. Personally when i think of her male characters i see power, not just because theyre vampires but theyre characters. They also seem to have this supremisy. Maybe thats why she chose male i duno. Any ideas, anyone?

they should really have a smilie face for Hmmm.

im going to try and think deeper about this whole male thing, maybe there isnt a read why, but im going to find a why, even if its little. There must be a reason, bcoz she could make a female Lestat with just as many problems and strengths. i shall ponder it some more i think.
hmmm
I have thought about the whole gender issue any more, but i have been pondering if the ucyclopedia on Anne Rice has insulted me or not, and while i've tried to laugh at most of it, bocz some of it is funny, and i do try to see the funny side of most things, i really dont think its that entertaining. And i have taken offence to it.

Anne Rice had now become 'an author of my childhood' along with Anthony Horowitz, Terry Pratchett, Eoin Colfer, JK Rowling and Cecelia Ahern. They seem to be repeating the same joke over and over again, that Anne is obsessed with bisexual vampires;

“More people would read about Jesus if he was a gay vampire”

~ Anne Rice on Christianity

and after the first fiew times its just not funny anymore.

please take a look and tell me whats you opinion;

link

p.s. oh look they do have a smilie for hmm =D
mischievous
Well, i've almost finished MTD, and for me its proved Anne Rice's superior intelligence and writing skills. While reading I was thinking "Oh i know how this will turn out, its so obvious" and i can tell you, the ending is so not obvious, i didnt seen any of this coming.

Plus, Rice put some details at the start of the book that had semi-significance, but turns out to have meaning in the story, or some form of irony. Either way, Rice never puts anything in her books which arnt relevant or important to the story.

Rice is A-MAY-ZING!!!! I dont think i could ever tire of reading her books.
heart
I finished Memnoch the Devil last night (yay me!) and I implore you to read it yourself.

There was a twist at the end that was beautifully delicious. And Lestat, mon ami, mon amour, tu est le légende, to est le vampire Lestat. Adieu.
smile
Does anyone actually read my babbling? nah don't blame you. This is more for myself to empty my mind of thoughts. Though, it would be nice to babble with someone else.

Anyone up for a babble about Rice, Lestat and other related subjects?
smile
I started to read The Vampire Armand last night. So far I like it. Marius is such a sweety (well for a vampire haha). I've only read chapter 1 and I think I understand Armand better already. The writing style is a little different but still with the Rice touch, so I'm satisfied with that.

I don't know what else to say untill I've read more. I hope I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Lestat's narrative. =D
laugh
I came across something that made me laugh so hard yesterday. In the book The Vampire Armand, Armand calls remote controls "magic plastic twanger". I thought it was funny. but then again lots of people have weird/funny nicknames for remotes, like buttons, flicker, zapper. I like calling it a Dib-Dob, that's why Dobby reminds me of a remote control.
smile
The way Anne has been describing Venice through Amadeo's eyes, makes me feel like I want to be there, more than that, like I need to be there. And Amadeo, how I've fallen in love with his character. He's so sweet, and loving, and now as an older boy, bold and arrogant, yet just as faithful to Marius as ever. How I love it.

The passionate love between Amadeo and Marius, is so delicuously sweet. I hope it never ends, but I know once Amadeo has been turned the paradise will soon be over, and Armands dark ages will begin under the Les Innecents. And as much as I look forword to Anne's vivide description of their seperation , because I know she will do it beautifully, I also know she will make me cry.

But then again, who wants to read a book where everything works out in the end, a perfect happily ever after, so sickly, like eating too much iceing. You need a friut cake, randomly littered with currents of dispair and tradgedy, only then can you appreciate the sweet iceing, which should have the undelying unsavory marzepan. Anne gives you a very well baked cake =D

In case you can't tell, I like Anne's writing, I like cake, and I'm hungry.
How do I say what I feel for the books and Anne Rice, without sounding overly obsessed, corny or meladramatic?

I usually read my book before bed, and only intend to read one chapter, but sometimes I end up reading through the night, I just can't put them down.

I love them so much, I love all the characters (Baby Jenks not so much). The relationships and the love, the intecity, I can't get enough.

At the moment in TVA, Amadeo is still in Vanice with Marius, and its so alluring, so magnetic, you can only love Anne Rice for her creation.

And Anne Rice through her books has tought me so much. No only improving my spelling and grammar (which was so atrocious in the first place it could only get better, but as I'm sure you've already realised still isn't very good, google dictionary is over-used by far) Anne has widened my vocabulary so much. She has tought me to truly look inside a story and characters to find the true meaning. I no longer read on a superficial level. And I really want to thank her for her books, even though it was born from a dark place.

There are a lot of books out there where what you see is what you get, the characters have no real depth, there is no more to the relationships and characters than what is stated. You don't have to think, which is a real shame. But that's why they are probably so popular, because the people who read them don't have to think about it, they don't have questions, and some don't have the ability to regard them as more that what they see.
smile
Holy Cow! Its been 5 days sinse my last babble!!!

I can't think of anything to say, I'm enjoying The Vampire Armand. Its amazing. If anyone has any doubts weather or not they will like it, I can asure you, if you liked the other Vampire Chronicles books they you will like this one too. =D